Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Very slow internet speed since fault was "resolved"

Hello

I am getting really fed up with an intermittent fault I've had all day.

8AM this morning my internet was painfully slow, showing packetloss. No issues on the VM website. However, about an hour later VM acknowledged the fault in the area and said the fix would be 15:00. About 15:30 I got a text saying the fault had been fixed, but it hadn't.

I use modem only mode with the VM router and use pfSense as my router and I work in a technical environment so I know a lot about this and I'm sure this is not an issue on my side. After wasting an hour on the phone with VM I got cut off while they tried to transfer me.

Still 12 hours later, still the same fault although VM don't appear to care.

Capture.PNG

The packetloss is about 10-30% and it's been like that for hours now. A speed test always reports less than 1Mb download, and normal upload (about 33Mbs). Given the fact the upload is fine, I suspect this is nothing to do with a physical issue on my side.

Can anyone help me?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow internet speed since fault was "resolved"

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Try a reboot to see if the Hub can renegotiate a better connection using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your connection again.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My BQM 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The BQM is showing all red, quite possibly the Hub is not responding to Ping. Can you log in to the Hub settings and set up the Firewall as shown below ...

Hub-3-Firewall

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The firewall options are not there, presumably because I am using modem only mode?

One thing I just noticed is that even locally, the page did not load at first, then it look a long time to load and then again to log in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

By the way, pfSense is set to respond to ping on the WAN interface and I have just confirmed this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try setting up a new BQM.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.

The connection appears normal now.

0 Kudos