Hello. I apologise for my first post being a problem post, but this seems to be the best place to start.
Well, I had written a whole post explaining my slow problem and included my router settings and everything I thought might be useful, only for my post to fail to list. I receive a message saying correct all highlighted areas and try again. The whole post is highlighted so is not posted, the total character count is 7027 so I am inside the allowance. Any help would be very useful. Many thanks.
First of all I'd like to say thanks to james_bp, we tried to sort me out but we couldn't make any real improvements.
He did leave me with a phone number to try, so I phoned virgin and spoke to the technical department.
They ran through a bunch of tests/checks but didn't find anything. So they changed some settings at their end, told me they would take 72 hours to take effect, at which point I should see an improvement. If not, I was to reset my hub3.
The new settings made no difference, so I reset the hub.
Still no improvement (I am on a 100meg deal and receive between 1 and 25 wired, strangely it seams I get slightly more wifi than wired), so I phoned again.
They ran more checks, at this point there was only my laptop connected to the hub using a cat 5e cable, absolutely nothing else.
They concluded saying the problem was at my end, probably with my network, they would monitor my speeds for 30 days and get back to me.
So what do you think? Would a fault with my network (keeping in mind only my laptop was connected at this stage) really slow my broadband speed.
I usually have 1 laptop connected wireless, and 1 desktop and 2 TV's using powerline adaptors.
Sadly I do not agree I had a similar issue, reset Hub and connected one device only Swapped to a second device, and connected only that one I was sent a replacement Hub, and it has made no difference
Numerous people have reported the same or similar issue In most cases the performance has fallen by about 90% and seems to apply at all times since the end of March 2020 This suggests the area networks cannot cope with demand
I have not been able to connect to Netflix 4K, as a result I suspended my account last week
I also lose connection for about 40 minutes every hour, so have to quickly perform what I can then wait for the next reconnection Equally, I am having to swap from Virgin Media to O2 in order to simply keep up with eMail
Powerline adapters will be the root cause of any reduced speeds to any devices connected to them.
To test speeds properly take them out of the equation and then do it this way...
I know you are not expecting speeds of >100mbps, but check whether your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or) and also has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected if you dont do that other (Wifi) devices may still be connected unbeknown to you. Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.
Try that and report back what you get.
Another of my favourites recently was where a connected xbox in standby was reducing speeds on other devices by 50%
Well, that was interesting. I did as John suggested.
First of all it is a gigabit card with no limits with current drivers. I bought myself a new cat 6 cable and put the hub into modem mode. Then ran some speed test at speedtest.net
I couldn't get 2 Virgin servers so I picked one at random, that turned out to be Cardiff (spectrum internet), which I used as my second server for all the test's. I also downloaded Avast to use as my second browser, I'd not used it before so the version that I used would be clean.
So with nothing else connected I ran the tests, the results were;
Opera = ping 66, down 4.4, up 0.00. at vm bristol. Opera = ping 33, down 2.66, up 9.21 at cardiff.
Avast = ping 16, down 2.79, up 10.01 at vm bristol. Avast = ping 49, down 20.92, up 10.07 at cardiff
So I booted into safe mode and did it all again.
Opera = ping 16, down 8.97, up 10.03 at bristol. Opera = ping 65, down 18.59, up 10.09 at cardiff.
Avast = ping 15, down 70.96, up 10.08 at bristol. Avast = ping 20, down 78.06, up 10.09.
However, I did make a slight mistake in an earlier post. I have one TV and one desktop on powerline adaptors usually,
my main TV is connected directly to the hub. I would be quite happy to not use the adaptors if my wifi signal ends up being sufficient.
So from the results it looks to me that I need to find out what software is slowing things down and change browser. The only problem will be, how to change the browsers that my TV's use (I'm not very good with tech). I assume it is a case of just stopping all un-necessary software and restarting them one at a time to discover the one causing the problem.