Menu
lppower
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Very slow download speeds

I have been working from home, using Virgin Media, for the past five years but never had such slow speeds as I have seen this week.

I connect wirelessly and this evening I am getting 8.63 download and 20.79 upload. This is after following all the recommended steps and rebooting the router.

When I plugged in the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable I got 76.01 download and 19.39 upload. My product is M200 so I should be getting 200GB.

I hope this can be resolved quickly as this is affecting my ability to host conference calls and present my screen etc.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow download speeds

Firstly you tested on a laptop over ethernet - is the device enabled for>100mbps speeds? Are the drivers up to date. What network card does it have?
Were you using a Cat5 cable as that will limit it to <100 - needs to be Cat5e or better - worth trying a new one as older cables do sometimes"fail" . What does it report about the connection in the lappy's network settings - it will show if its limited to 100 or 1GB.

Als you didnt say - what hub model do you have SH1/2/2ac or Hub3?

Wifi is a different beast

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos