Menu
wink
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very slow download speed GU4

Since midday 10/07/20 download speed is averaging around 4Mb/sec instead of the supposed 100.  Upload speed remains good at 10Mb/sec.  Connection is wired.  Downstream and upstream power levels on modem look fine.

0 Kudos
wink
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow download speed GU4

Still no improvement after 24 hours, currently getting less than 1Mb download speed :(. Any suggestions for actually contacting Virgin?  'Check service status' says there is nothing wrong, and the online help seems to be an endless loop.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers 1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

Also, can you check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends – disconnect then and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Would help too if you could also post up ALL the data from the Upstream, Downstream & Network Logs pages (take out the MAC, i.p. addresses).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
wink
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Apologies to Virgin Media - not a network issue after all.  I spoke to customer support who pointed out that the hub was in modem mode and therefore the router might be the bottleneck.  I was doubtful because I had rebooted both hub and router several times, but I put the hub into router mode and hey presto, 100Mb/sec restored. Now to find out why the router is throttling the network speed.

0 Kudos