Menu
finchioni
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very slow broadband

Hi,

I upgraded a couple of years ago to the 100Mbps, and it's been great reaching 100Mbps plus all the time on wireless too, sadly the last month had seen a degradation in speed, now mostly around the 30Mbps area, I will emphasise the next bit, no cables or boxes have been moved, apart from rebooting by switching of at the mains no settings have been changed the speeds have deteriorated without any physical changes whatsoever at my end. If anyone can point me in the right direction to a solution I would be most grateful.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow broadband

Are the speeds lower on both wifi and ethernet cable connected devices? If you dont know can you test with a computer/laptop connected on a new ethernet cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
finchioni
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your speedy response.

The speeds with with the cable plugged in is around 50Mbps, checked with different laptops and cables.

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi finchioni, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you have recently been having an issue with your broadband speeds. 

Checking the account and the Hub stats, I can see all is looking well. The power levels are all within spec, as are the modem levels. There are no timeouts showing and the area is looking all good too. 

I can see the connected devices on the Hub and I would recommend upgrading your ethernet cable to a minimum of a cat 6. As well as this check to ensure your network card is at least a GB. This will ensure your equipment is within specifications. 

Once you have the new upgraded ethernet cable, plug this in and test the speed via speedtest.net and post the results here so we can check things further for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
finchioni
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your reply, what I don't understand is why do I need to do all you suggest when I haven't changed/moved replaced anything and the speed drop has happened without any alterations from me and everything worked fine a month or so ago 100Mbps on wifi, with exactly the same equipment/leads/laptop.

Cheers

0 Kudos
finchioni
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Something strange is afoot, after a month or so of very slow broadband on wifi and cable, after posting my last reply I thought I would check my speed and would you believe it I'm back to full speed without me doing anything, so either someone has tweaked something at that end or the forum has some magical powers. Anyway thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well that sure is a little forum magic for you finchioni. 

I'm glad things are sorted for you. Just to reply to your previous reply, we ask to ensure things are up to date with your equipment just to ensure a recent update hasn't affected you or something similar. 

Even though you may not knowingly change something, it may have been done in the background or the cable may have degraded so getting a cat 6 ethernet cable will be something to put on the list to get done 🙂

If you do have any further issues, pop back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide