Menu
Paul1882
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Very slow broadband speed

I have just purchased Virgin primarily for the advertised broadband speed of 350Mps. I entered my post code before purchasing and it started between 327 and 374MPs. I have carried out various tests including through the suggested app and using an Ethernet connection and the speeds are between 6-30MPs. This is ridiculous. I have had the system Installex for 4 days and am seriously considering cancelling the contract. Anyone can help???

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow broadband speed

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it on ethernet cable like this.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos