Menu
mikew33
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Very poor connection to certain websites

Hi all,

I'm having some curious issues. My speedtest.net results are fine, 15ms, 100 down ~15 up, but I'm getting huge issues buffering Youtube videos periodically, and when I ping google.co.uk, am getting returns of 1000-2000ms. This is not always the case, often it is 15ms, but for seemingly no reason it jumps and my connection grinds to a halt.

This is on various wireless hardware (PC, phone, tablet) in different places through the house, buy generally within 3m of the hub and with a clear line of sight. I also have the same issues on a wired fire HD device which leads me to rule out WiFi interference.

I'm attaching a screesnhot of the ping results.

BTW, I have called VM support about 15 times, had an engineer round to fix physical connections and replace the hub, none of which have fixed this issue.

image.png 

These spikes are also not showing up on a BQM that I set up yesterday, which shows stable ping of ~15ms with spikes no higher than low hundreds. 

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor connection to certain websites

The screenshot is showing an IPv6 address but Virgin Media don't use IPv6 yet, so something strange is happening here. Are you using a VPN or IPv6 tunnel service?

0 Kudos
mikew33
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello, no, I am not using a VPN or IPv6 tunnel service (that I am aware of). Is there a way I can check this?

I use a VPN for a work connection but that is locked to a specific work device and it is often powered off while I have these issues. 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

guessing you're in Ireland?

0 Kudos
mikew33
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello, no not in Ireland, I'm in South East England! I guess something looks strange in that screenshot? 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

yeah - per the other response, VM don't currently have IPv6 deployed (but do in Ireland), so the fact that you're ping is showing ipv6 traffic is interesting 😛

how are you connected to your network (wireless/wired?)

do you have any powerline adapters in the house?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to add that this is what you'd expect from a ping, so what you have is strange.

C:\>ping google.co.uk

Pinging google.co.uk [142.250.187.227] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 142.250.187.227: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=116
Reply from 142.250.187.227: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=116
Reply from 142.250.187.227: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=116
Reply from 142.250.187.227: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 142.250.187.227:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 11ms

C:\>

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mikew33
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So all my devices are connected either by direct WiFi to the VM super hub 3.0, or via direct ethernet (TV).

However, I did have a powerline adapter plugged into an ethernet port in the router, and also into a wall socket. There was nothing on the other end of that (the 2nd one broke and I forgot about this one). I also had a WiFi extender to reach the garden, again, switched on and connected to the router, but nothing connected to it at the time.

I have removed both of these to try and isolate the issue. My ping graph looks like the "expected" one, going to 142.250.187.227, so that is positive. But it is an intermittent issue (with it reverting to this normal state periodically) so it might just be a coincidence.

I'll continue to monitor and report back...

Thank you for all your help so far. I feel like we've made more progress today than I have in the last 2 weeks...

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that your powerline adapter was syncing with a neighbours device and you were using their broadband.. if that was the case and it’s been disconnected now you should be fine..

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The first thing you should do with powerline adapters is to pair them so that there is no danger of being on the same LAN as a neighbour.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos