Menu
pauldotter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Very poor WiFi reach and slower than expected cabled speeds

I was called the other day by a "Virgin Call Centre" who offered me an upgrade on my broadband speeds, a new digi box, 2 new remotes and a new digital TV service... all sounds great and they listened to my complaints about my current service.  At the end of the discussion I was told this would cost me an extra £6 per month and would solve all my issues...

Well firstly I'm not paying more for something when I'm not even getting what I pay for currently and secondly, how can someone promise to fix all my problems without even carrying out any kind of system review??

So within my bundle I PAY for 500Mb fibre line and I have just run a speed test to get the latest figures.  To my surprise it was the most I have seen since the first month my contract was renewed although it's still far less than the 500Mb service I subscribe to.

CAT6 Cable : 156Mb down and 36.5Mb up with a ping of 12ms

Wireless : 127Mb down and 36.8Mb up with a ping of 41ms

My wireless range no longer reaches parts of the house that it did a year ago, the router (HUB V3) has not moved and there have been hardly any additional devices added.

I have tried range extenders is the past and they slowed things down and devices didn't switch to the extender point anyway.  Even when I down everything and force a connection to that local device it's not a fool proof long term solution as it disconnects and picks up the main router frequently.  I also have 2 mains boards in the property and the extenders do not work across this circuit change.

In short, the wireless isn't reliable and is deteriorating compared to before, the wired connection isn't getting the results I am expecting and nothing my end has changed.

If I have to reboot that bloody router again to prove the same point I won't be very happy!! 😉

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor WiFi reach and slower than expected cabled speeds

Dont accept any upgrades.

First thing is to establish what speeds are being delivered to the Hub - can you do this...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This disables any other device ethernet connections. Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.