Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Very low broadband speeds

Hi for the last few weeks we have consistently had low broadband speeds. We pay for 200mbps yet have been getting nowhere near this, and much lower than the 107 Mbps minimum we are guaranteed. Today it's 5.28 Mbps download and 6.07 upload, yesterday was 2.67 download and 8 upload. These speeds are typical of what we have been getting. There are no reported issues in our area and I have completed the online diagnostic test, which says everything is working fine. We have a hub 2ac. Our 2.4GHz is blinking indicating it's fine, our 5 GHz is solid blue. Can someone please get back to us?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very low broadband speeds

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I don't know, we're all wireless in this house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi RoH30,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you've not been receiving your expected speeds.

In order to get a better idea of where the issue is coming from, we would need to find out what speeds you are receiving to a hard wired device. This would mean that we wouldn't have to factor in any possible WiFi interference when looking at your speed test results, which could be the cause of the problem.

I've had a look at things from over here and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with signal levels and other hub specs. I'd recommend taking a look at our helpful WiFi tips pages: virg.in/WiFiwins and virg.in/wifihelp to see if any improvements can be made of the back of following the advice from there.

Please come back to me if you are still struggling and we can go from there.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. We have a WiFi booster and signal levels look good. I spoke to customer services who 'sent a signal' which improved things a little but the fact is we are paying for 200 mpbs and consistently not getting anywhere near that. I found an ethernet cable in the back of a cupboard. If I connect that how can you do a wired speed test?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

Once you've connected your device via Ethernet cable (using a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable if possible), please head over to https://www.speedtest.net/ and hit 'GO' to run the test. Please then come back and post the results here - that would be highly appreciated.

Let me know if you need anything.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You’re not paying for wireless speeds though.

The speed guarantee is for the speed to be delivered to your hub not internal devices.

What spec of cable is it (will be printed on the cable)?

Youll need to connect it to a gigabit enabled PC or Laptop and run a test on speedtest.net

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. It's a cat 5 cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

CAT5 will max out at about 80-90Mbps so still not an accurate way of checking speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok I will see if any friends can lend us a more up to date cable. 

0 Kudos