Menu
oldfield
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Variable speeds weirdness

Hi I have a Hub2. Recently last few months been getting v slow response to links, so internet pages open OK but after a long pause, and then a bit sticky to scroll. Happens on a wired desk top and also on WiFi on phones. 

Got a letter from VM saying we had upgraded to 200Mb. Out of interest I speed checked a few times and for the last few days I have been getting speeds of 5 - 30 (download). Wifi speeds to phones etc even worse, of course.

Went to VM site - VM checks said no issues.

So I followed the slow speed instructions,

Turned off, wait, turn on, no better, Pinhole reset, wait, no better.

Change the cable - seriously? Well you never know, even though the wifi is still v slow for other non-wired devices so seems unlikely. Changed the cable for another we had in a drawer - amazed I got 215Mb download. (Both are CAT5, but all we have is CAT5 - it's been here a while..)

Intrigued, I reinstated the old cable to double check, and got 200+ again. So with the same set up as before, I got a good download speed, effectively by disconnecting and then reinstating the cable. But the phone wifi connection speed from 6ft away is still slow (2- 3) however.

We have had a few issues with wifi connectivity for a year or more - does it sound like the local network is wobbling or is my router playing up, or is there another explanation? Maybe we are haunted..

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Variable speeds weirdness

Hello

I am afraid that CAT 5 will not get you beyond the 100mbps you are going to need Cat 5e or above.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

oldfield
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike thanks for your reply - useful to know (although oddly I am getting a reading of 200 at the moment) maybe it'll be the reason for the variability? I am pretty sure this is the cable we were supplied with when we had the Hub2 installed, might be worth getting hold of a CAT 6 to see if it stabilises things - be useful if VM mentioned this when they upgraded the speeds 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are not responsible for your internal connections and the like. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The reason behind it is taken from the net "Category 5 cabling, also known as Cat5, is an older type of network cabling. Cat5 cables were made to support theoretical speeds of 10Mbps and 100Mbps. You may be able to get gigabit speeds on a Cat5 cable, particularly if the cable is shorter, but it isn't always guaranteed."

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
oldfield
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmm thanks again Mike, it is only a short cable to be fair - I shall get hold of a CAT 6 and give it a try anyway.

0 Kudos
oldfield
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, understand that - I just meant if it's a "thing" it might be helpful to mention it when speeds are increased (as ours have been over the years) - and prevent non-tech people like me whining on about network speeds :). Oh well live and learn eh? Thanks for your reply
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

No problems if you ever need any help then by all means post back in the community forum, we are a good bunch here.

Regards Mike