Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VPN Speed Throttling

I have struggled to find a solution to this on the forum and wondered if anyone could help. I have seen many people mention this on the internet but not found a solution

I have recently joined VM 100 in modem mode and I use a VPN all the time personal and work.The VPN is at device level and I have an OPENWRT router connected to the modem. The VPN is clearly being throttled. I have tested multiple providers, protocols, and devices and its usually between 30 - 50 Mbps. I can see other posts about this but no solutions usually just someone saying its due to the VPN but I know this isnt the case. (I have also tested with another home broadband and LTE device and these work fine).

Does anyone know how I can fix the issue? according to my research they are throttling the OpenVPN protocol. I am considering trying wireguard to see if this protocol is also throttled. Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help, are they allowed to throttle specific traffic ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN Speed Throttling

you will never get full speeds over VPN, this has been a thing since ever. thats why you have not found a solution because there is not one, ppl using a vpn for whatever reason are resigned to the speed they get. the routing of your vpn has an effect on speed too.

https://www.twitch.tv/ziltoidtv
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Test with a PC to the hub in modem mode without a router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

*Update*

not sure if its due to my line just being activated or just a coincidence, but my issues are resolved. I am now getting between 7.2 - 9.2 Mbps depending upon the protocol I am using.

0 Kudos