Menu
Strikeman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM350 with BT Broadband Extender AV600 Powerline

Evening!

I have recently had VM350 installed and so far so good. However I am getting some relatively slow speeds using my powerline plugs with speeds of around 45mb to 50mb via the Powerline connection which is about 14% of the speed I should be getting when connected up directly to the router

My previous Sky Broadband package via telephone and the same Powerline plugs was giving me speeds of around 35mb - 40mb via the Powerline which was around 80% of the router speed

It seems like something is failing somewhere for this speed to be so much slower on this new VM350 connection but I cant quite work out what it could be!??

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM350 with BT Broadband Extender AV600 Powerline

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Avalon-One
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You're missing the obvious, the powerline adapters are only giving you the same speed they were ever capable of, it doesn't matter what the percentage of the available WAN connection speed is/was, they are still only capable of 40-50Mbit. Powerline is an awful technology that is quoted as full duplex and generally can't meet it's claimed speeds even with both adapters plugged into a double socket. If you want maximum speed run a CAT5e or better cable.

heathrow
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have powerline extenders from TP-Link which claim up to 2000 Mbps i.e. 2 gig.

In reality I'm lucky  to get 60 - 100 Mbps. As discussed, it's probably the powerline adaptors which are your bottleneck,

0 Kudos