Menu
DMik
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM Throttling Entire Network

Hello, recently (the last 2 or 3 days) VM Media have been intentionally throttling my torrent bandwidth. I have some before, during and after screenshots. No settings have been changed and I have never had this problem in all my years as a VM customer. I am on VM 500MB service. Initially the torrent speeds starts to speed up, usually reaching 4 or 5 MB/s before quickly being brough back down to 30 KB/s which is ridiculous.

My upload speed isnt saturating the network (its capped at 128KB) which is well below my theoretical max of 50,000 KB Here are my PC and network specs. This saturation is detrimental to everyone on the network, other PC, laptop, TV streaming and mobile usage. This is throttling the whole network. It is not a PC issue and i have tried other torrent programs with the same result.

The following are screenshots I have taken as evidence.

1. Speed test before beginning a torrent

2. A speed test during a torrent.

3. A screenshot showing my capped upload proving i am not saturating my upload speed.

4. A screenshot straight after stopping the torrent.

1. BEFORE1. BEFORE2. DURING2. DURING3. CAPPED UPLOAD3. CAPPED UPLOAD4. AFTER4. AFTER

Here are my PC and network specs.

i9700k

RTX 3080

16gb ram

Superhub 4 (In modem mode)

Asus RT-AX86U Router (I am connected via ethernet cable)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Throttling Entire Network

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It would be helpful if you didn't confuse bits with bytes.

Your M500 service has a download speed of 500Mb, not 500 MB, and an upload speed of 36 Mb.

It's not clear in the rest of your post whether you mean b or B.

What you mean by "My upload speed isnt saturating the network (its capped at 128KB) which is well below my theoretical max of 50,000 KB" ?

Also  "This saturation is detrimental to everyone on the network, other PC, laptop, TV streaming and mobile usage."

Your download and upload streams are shared between every device connected to your network, so it is not surprising that those devices all lose out when you are streaming.  If you are doing a speed test on another device while streaming it will certainly give a false reading.

0 Kudos
DMik
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok i made some type errors in my haste typing this post, i also didnt clarify an extra point so here are the corrections.

1. Its 500mbit connection, usually more, when i download something from Steam i get about 65-70MB download.

2. I added an extra 0 onto my upload speed by accident. My theoretical upload speed is 5,000 KB/s, its capped at 128KB/s well below my max. Demonstrating that i am not saturating my network.

3. I have disconnected everything from the network and only connected my PC and i get the same results.

4. No speed test was done while anything else was going on in the network, the only variable was torrent download Paused, torrent download Started.

4. I said i had a Super Hub 4, also a typo in my haste, its a Super Hub 3.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm aware VM don't throttle bandwidth, if you feel they do try using a VPN and see if you get the same results 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DMik wrote:

Ok i made some type errors in my haste typing this post, i also didnt clarify an extra point so here are the corrections.

<snip>

4. I said i had a Super Hub 4, also a typo in my haste, its a Super Hub 3.

Another typo, the VM Hubs haven't been called "Super" since the Hub 3.

This conspiracy theory rolls around quite often and if it was true then VM would be in breach of their own policy which is published here:

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_Fibre_Traffic_Management_Key_Facts_Indic...

This would result in grief from OFCOM and the ASA so deliberate traffic management by VM seems unlikely to me.

When you say you have disconnected everything, does that include the Asus router?  If not it is worth ruling that out as the issue and it would be one of the first things VM staff would ask you to do as they can't provide support for third party routers.  I have seen QOS and other settings on third party routers throttle traffic before.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm using an Asus RT-AX82U and if either "QoS" or "Gaming mode" is turned on it will cap my speed, something you might want to check 🙂

Also while using torrents make sure your port is open for the torrent client or you won't get any speed 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
DMik
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes i have disconnected the Asus router which didnt change anything. 

The one thing i did do which has made a change is use a VPN... Strange how using a VPN fixes my problem. 

Was just trying to download something now at 8KB/s whole network ground to a hault for everyone, soon as i turn on PIA (my VPN) im geting 30MB/s and network is running smooth.

0 Kudos