Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Docsis versus FTTP

Ant_N_Robinson
Joining in

Hello,

Need some advice on the following.

Currently have M200 with hub 3 into house.  I think the cable from pavement to house is coax.  The breen cabinet is about 50m from house.  Hard wire connection from hub3 to laptop.  Using laptop to remote desktop into work PC spinning 3D CAD models with is very fruistrating.

I've asked VM for advice on how to improve latency as this seems to be the main cause but I'm at the point of choosing anotehr provide.

Openreach have recently installed fibre in the area.  A few neighbours now have FTTP.  I've seen various deals for 150 & 500 mbit with a larger upload size.

My question is:

Is it better to stick with VM and put the hub 3 into modem mode and buy something like the Ubiqiti edgerouter ER that has SQM to improve the latency.

Or would it be better to just go with full fibre to the house.  For example talk talk fibre with aero mech pro 6.

Typical VM ping rates on fast.com are 160-200mbps down, Unloaded 13ms, loaded 250-300ms, upload 18mbps.

4 REPLIES 4

bally12345
Dialled in

I have Gig1 broadband with copper to property and have no issues getting speed with my unifi dream machine. I would always advise users who have real broadband demands to use modem mode with a good separate router. 

Screenshot_20211222-195605_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Thanks for the info

Just tried next doors fttp connection.  Was only getting 75mbps but the ping rate for unloaded 7ms and loaded 19ms seemed a bit better than the VM 200mbps (14ms & 28ms)  with hub3.

Tried it with the CAD and it did seem smoother.

So it's either Cheaper per month VM + edgerouter + wifi access point. Or move to FFTP higher cost per month.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

A new router is unlikely to make much difference. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It just depends on how important to you is the lower latency of the Openreach connection. Is that worth the extra cost? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.