Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VERY slow wired speed

Hi,

I pay for M100 Fibre, which historically has been fine. However, recently speeds have ranged from poor to barely usable.

Last year i was getting 80 Mbs, now i am getting between 20 and 40, and currently it is constantly dropping to 1-5 Mbs.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VERY slow wired speed

As you are testing wired. First try a new ethernet cable (I would use Cat6e if you are buying new) after yiu switch the Hub into modem mode - so only your one device is connecting.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!).

Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So, i did what you said and changed the cat6 cable to a different cat6 and it made no difference, then i discovered something odd - It turns out the TP LINK AV600s i have been using for the last 3 years aren't working correctly! (varying between 1 & 40 mps) Swapped them for for the virgin versions i had in a cupboard and they do the same. Moved the entire setup to direct connection and problem solved (solid 110 Mps)

It's very strange, using a powerline has been okay for 10 years (even in my exact setup for the last 2), and all of a sudden it's no longer compatible with this hub. Totally ruined my office setup, but such is life .... at least it works

Thanks for the help 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Powerline are unreliable, sometimes more so than WiFi. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@davidgill1 wrote:

Hi,

So, i did what you said and changed the cat6 cable to a different cat6 and it made no difference, then i discovered something odd - It turns out the TP LINK AV600s i have been using for the last 3 years aren't working correctly! (varying between 1 & 40 mps) Swapped them for for the virgin versions i had in a cupboard and they do the same. Moved the entire setup to direct connection and problem solved (solid 110 Mps)

It's very strange, using a powerline has been okay for 10 years (even in my exact setup for the last 2), and all of a sudden it's no longer compatible with this hub. Totally ruined my office setup, but such is life .... at least it works

Seems to me a strange conclusion to jump to, if they were incompatible then they probably would not work at all.  A slower speed, from two sets of adapters, suggests to me noise on your electrical circuit is slowing them down.  Got anything new plugged in recently?  Mobile phone chargers are infamous for generating noise on electrical circuits along with many other household appliances.

Give this a read:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/lanwan-basics/32769-how-to-troubleshoot-your-powerline-networ...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos