Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using spare superhub 3.0 as a wifi booster

Hello, I am moving into a large student house in September and moved some stuff in yesterday where we saw that new wifi has been installed in the furthest back room of the house.

The previous tenants also had the same package as us, so there is the old superhub 3.0 there too.

My question is: how would I go about plugging in the ‘spare’ superhub 3.0 in another room to essentially act as a second hub where the signal is amplified from? Would probably look to use it for wired connections only, and I don’t think the current hub would reach the proposed location for the ‘spare’ with an Ethernet connection.

Any help is much appreciated, 

Fin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using spare superhub 3.0 as a wifi booster

Hello

From what you have posted then the only way to be able to use this as a wireless access point is that it will need to be connected via Ethernet to the main hub.

This is how to do it -

1) Connect your spare SH by Ethernet to a PC/Laptop. Best not to be online to the other SH when doing this. In the background, the spare SH will be crying out via the arrow light for its DOCSIS connection. Ignore that.

2) Go into the spare SH GUI settings (192.168.0.1) and turn off all Firewall functions.

3) In the GUI, set up your wireless SSIDs and behaviours as you would want them to be. Consider keeping a common WiFi password across the wireless estate.

4) In the GUI, turn DHCP OFF. Set the LAN IP address of the spare SH to be 192.168.0.254. IIRC, there is a quirk whereby you need to set the ending IP address as well to something silly like 192.168.0.253. Comeback to us if there is a difficulty when you do this. Apply the changes. While the spare SH is faffing with the changes, your connection to it will be disrupted and the spare SH will still be frantically looking for DOCSIS! When that settles down, switch the spare SH off and disconnect from it.

5) Now connect your laptop/pc into the main SH (which is still connected to the Internet) and set the ending IP address to 192.168.0.253 (if not already so). Apply the setting.

6) Connect a LAN port on the spare SH to a LAN port on the main SH. You can do this by direct Ethernet cable or Powerline if the AP is going into another room.

7) Switch the spare SH on and it should work straight away. It will be GUI accessible via 192.168.0.254.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can't use it as a wireless booster, in the way that I think you're hoping.  You can link the two devices with an ethernet cable, and then use it either for connecting devices on the three spare ethernet ports, or have the wireless turned on to improve the reach of the signal, although sounds like you don't want to do that?

You will need to go into the spare hub's settings, turn off the firewall, turn off DHCP, and turn off the wireless if you only intend to use it to connect ethernet devices.  However, be aware that using it like that, the spare hub is merely functioning as an ethernet switch, and in that mode you have the world's least efficient switch, because it will be consuming 14 watts or so.

You'd be better off spending fifteen quid on a purpose-made ethernet switch, and linking that to the primary hub by ethernet.  If buying a switch, make sure that you buy one with gigabit ports, not 10/100 Mbps ports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, I think we have a booster kicking about somewhere so will try that next time I’m there. 

Just to clarify though - connecting the hub via power line should give me speeds similar to a wired connection to the main hub directly? The spare hub would go in a room and connect to a work laptop and an Xbox so would need stable connections.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the detailed reply as well. That bridge you linked appears to be one for going from the main hub directly, but my issue is that I’ll be too far away from the hub to feasibly run an Ethernet cable there. Would that device work if I got a powerline connection to work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Connecting via power lines is dependant on noise on the mains, and can vary can be affected by quality of mains cabling (i.e. age), what else is using mains like fridges / TV, if the mains are different circuits, I very much doubt you will get the same speed as when connected to the hub.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos