Menu
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Upload speeds consistently poor from 8am to midnight

Hello,

Like many people here, my upload speeds are very poor.  I have the M200 package and I'm getting about 1-2Mbps on a good day, whilst download and ping are decent still at between 150-220Mbps with a ping of around 8ms (I feel quite lucky after reading other posts).  The upload speeds are consistently like this, all day, every day, except if I test in the early hours (I get 20-22Mpbs at around 4am).

A VM engineer visited today and adjusted the power levels, but everything was already within range.  The adjustments made no difference as expected and it's basically a saturation issue on the local box.

I doubt much can be done about it here, but I thought I would at least post something here just in case.

I've had little success in contacting VM over the last few weeks and have been cut off many times whilst waiting on the phone line for ages or just sent to nowhere when using the webchat on the VM site.  Again, I feel lucky that I managed to arrange an engineer and that they visited; I waited for 3 hours a week ago for someone who never turned up and callbacks have been non-existent.

As more and more people are going to be working from home, the upload utilisation is surely going to increase significantly for the foreseeable.  Are there any upgrades in the pipeline for this to handle the extra load?

Many thanks,
Alan

0 Kudos
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speeds consistently poor from 8am to midnight

I've now been told that the issue is a fault in my area (AL5) and that it will be resolved on the 3rd of June.

Does anyone have any more information about this please?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I’m guessing there’s a fault that will be resolved on that date?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for such a useful answer, but perhaps you misunderstood the question which was asking if anyone had any more information regarding the fault.  Simply being told that there's a fault that won't be resolved for nearly 3 weeks, which only came to light when everyone started working from home a few weeks ago, isn't great for confidence of an actual fix or there being an actual fault.

Whilst your "guess" might be correct, it's also possible that the "fault" is just saturation of the local area and, perhaps I'm just cynical, it feels more likely that VM are trying to buy time until more people have returned to work to ease the load on the network that can apparently cope with the demand.  The number of complaints on social media seems rather high and there are numerous posts on here about issues with upload speeds and the problems this is causing for people to work.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your post on the forums, Ive had a look at your services and can see that your area has been reported to have congestion and the estimated fix date is the 3rd of June 2020. Please be aware though this is an estimate and it could change due to the nature of faults.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello Megan_L,

Are you able to look into if there has been any progress with this yet please?  It's now been 3 weeks since I was told about the fault and that's after a few weeks of it being a problem.  The current upload speed is around 1 - 1.5 Mbps and has remained consistently poor throughout.

Many thanks for your help,

Alan

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Alan79

Cheers for popping back - I have been able to locate your account from your forum information and I can see that there are currently no known issues with your broadband services listed on your account. 

We can see you have recently rebooted today - there are no errors showing and all levels are within the parameters we would expect for your package. 

How are things looking since Wednesday and your last post - are you still having speed issues? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Katie_WT,

Thanks for checking in on my speed issue.  I rebooted today due to putting in a Superhub 3 that was sent through, but there have still been issues with the upload speed sadly.

There was a similar post here for others in the area still experiencing an issue as well.  Today, my upload has varied throughout the day, but as it's a Saturday, in theory there are less people on working at least, but it's stayed consistently slow during the week otherwise with upload speeds of around 1-3 Mbps until it gets to around midnight.  Early this morning the speed was 21 Mbps and it was great, but it soon dropped back to around 3 Mbps.  As of this evening, I'm getting anywhere between 3 and 8 Mbps.

Are there any actual changes to be put in or is it just a wait and see for the moment?  It's already been 5+ weeks of this and it's making using the Internet pretty hard as I rely on the upload rate.  It feels like the fix is just waiting for less people to work from home.

Thanks again for checking in, it's much appreciated.
Alan

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Morning Alan,

No issues are showing on the system. Can you do a wired non-console speedtest (computer/laptop) at speedtest.net for me with only that device connected?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Alan79
Tuning in
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply.  I have today directly connected a single PC using a Cat 6e cable through a gigabit network card.  There are no other devices connected to the hub.  This is a new Superhub 3 but the issue has been consistent with the Superhub 2 that I had connected before Friday.  This has been the same situation for many weeks now.

The numbers from the nearest speedtest server (Luton, Virgin Media) are as follows:

Ping: 8ms
Down: 220.74 Mbps
Up: 4.9 Mbps

The upload speed is slower on weekdays.  I tested yesterday (Saturday) many times and even at 11pm I was getting 2.8 Mbps up.  In the early hours of the morning the upload is fine, but this is only after midnight and before everyone gets up to start their day.

I am not the only person in my area (AL5) reporting that downloads are fine but uploads are terrible.  There is a post on your these forums regarding this from just this week:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/AL5-no-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel/td-p/4280173 

Many thanks for your help,
Alan

0 Kudos