Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading to 500 from 350

How does one go about upgrading from M350 to M500?

I get an error when trying to access upgrades and offers through my account online.

I don't fancy hanging on the end of a telephone for an indefinite period.

Any way of doing it autonomously?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading to 500 from 350

No and it has been asked and answered before multiple times (search by date).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In all honesty, why bother?  The marginal speed improvement won't be visible in daily use unless you regularly download multi-gigabyte files, and sit watching rotating circles or progress bars all day.  I'd have thought if raw bandwidth is that important, then presumably you'd already have (reluctantly) ponied up for the fastest packages for which you have to pay for TV content as well?

And whilst many decent wifi devices can come close to fully using a 350 connection, there's very few that in a real world situation would be able to use 500 Mbps.  Gaming uses sub-10 Mbps streams, so little value there.  Your upload speed won't change.  Most programme updates and even games can download in the background.  Surely there must be something better to spend your money on?  Like a decent router or mesh system.  Or a bigger, higher quality monitor.  Or a Big Daddy graphics card.  Or if you've already done all those, a regular supply of Croatian truffle oil.  Or just about any Makita power tool.  A pedigree Afghan hound.  A used Mazda MX-5.  A vintage 35mm camera. A chainsaw off eBay (not forgetting a sewing kit to reattach your fingers).

And if none of those appeal, and you're still at a loss, just send me the amount you would have paid extra for 500 Mbps, knowing that I will find a use for it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. I gave the phone call route a shot and I was quoted £61 for the 500 mb plus 5gb sim.
Asked why they are giving that very same package to new subscribers for £48 but couldn't offer it to me and did not get a satisfactory answer. Instead sales just tried to rope me in to a TV package.
I told them to stuff it. Unfortunately I still have another 12 months of contract to run. So I can't leave and come back as a new user for the same price.
Here's hoping that FTTH will be made available in my area soon as there needs to be more competition in this area. It seems that if you need high speeds then Virgin have you by the ****s.
Not happy at all. I don't see why loyal customers can't get the same benefits as new customers.

BTW I already have a mesh system, an rtx 2080, my own custom pfsense router. Might look at the Croation truffle oil though. Thanks for the tip 😉

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Because welcome offers are exactly that. A reduced trial period to see whether or not the service is one of which you want. You're evidently a customer, and clearly satisfied or else you wouldn't want to upgrade, so why would you be given a reduced price similar to that of a Trial?

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos