Menu
keitheds
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to M500

I upgraded to M500 from M350 yesterday. How long before the switch is physically made so that i get what I’m paying for? 
so far there’s been no change in speed, despite several router reboots

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to M500

@keitheds wrote:

I upgraded to M500 from M350 yesterday. How long before the switch is physically made so that i get what I’m paying for? 
so far there’s been no change in speed, despite several router reboots

Should be fairly quick.  Once the config file is pushed to your router, the speed will be available.  Check the Router Status page at 192.168.0.1 - Configuration tab - Primary Downstream Service Flow - Max Traffic Rate is the speed.

A 60 second pinhole factory reset may help.  Do NOT reboot the router, just let it do it's thing after the reset.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Edward036
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi , I did exactly the same day before last. There was no change so was asked to reboot hub in 2 hours. I rebooted 3/4 times over the evening with no download speed difference from what I achieved on the lower speed. Started a chat with a tech advisor on virgin only to be told there will be no difference in download speed over my previous speed!! Now I do not know what to do, might just cancel, have been with them for years. Seems crazy to pay extra (albeit 50p a month more) when there will be no speed advantage.

DC2F069D-9702-4E20-945F-F709AA4FBF6C.png

54E03D13-D950-4DB3-B860-2E9239736335.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Edward036,

Thank for posting and welcome to the community page.

Sorry to hear of any issues with the speeds, done a system check and no issues are showing. We are sending a pod out to you.

Can I ask how you are testing the speeds? Wired/Wireless and what devices?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Edward036
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hiya,

im using the virgin broadband speed test on my iPhone 11, tried other broadband speed tests as well.
The slower download speed prompted I was getting last week prompted me to upgrade my package but I’m getting exactly the same speeds as last week, even standing next to the router.

I got told by Virgin techs yesterday via chat to use my laptop standing up using a LAN cable if I wanted a faster speed!! I won’t get a wi-if speed faster than 200/220 d/l……

0 Kudos
mukeman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yup, I'm in the same boat. When I first upgraded to M500, nothing changes. I went for weeks waiting for the speed to increase. When I finally managed to get through to tech support, they told me that the change had not been made. They apologised and switched me over. Now I've had M500 for several months and the speed always winds back to 248mbps after a few seconds.

Be careful what you wish for! Irrespective of what you pay for!
Edward036
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Do you think they drag it out so you are out of the 14 day cooling period? Therefore unable to cancel…

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @keitheds thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're not receiving the upgraded speeds.  I have located your account from here and can see a tech is scheduled to attend your property.  Please can you update us with how things go?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
keitheds
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately my Hub3 is in Modem-Only mode due to the wifi performance being poor from day 1, and receiving constant wifi dropouts during the day was not condusive to a productive working day especially when you lose connection during important online meetings - so I remedied this by purchasing my own wifi router and connecting it directly to the hub with a cat6 cable. Its been working like this (trouble free) for a number of years.

I was asked to put the hub back into router mode and then plug in a device via an ethernet cable to then test the speed - none of my devices have an ethernet port any more so cannot do this. I felt that VM engineers were using this fact as a cop-out because I couldn't test it in Router mode. 

The fact that my Netgear router, physically connected to the Hub with an ethernet cable and having embedded Speedtest software which I can test the speed with was not sufficient.

In my experience, it would help immensely if the 'engineers' manning their telephones were actually technically trained to understand what they were actually investigating - as opposed to untrained staff just reading off a script and following a type of flow chart. One of the engineers tried to baffle me with technical speak on one of the recent calls this week, but to her dismay I've been working in IT infrastructure for nearly 40 years and knew instantly what she was saying was completely incorrect.

keitheds
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely!

I initially called because I wanted to cancel due to Sky offering a better/faster service, cheaper so VM offered me a quicker service (M500 instead of M350) at a cheaper rate than the usual price. I asked about the 14 day cooling off period at the time which was confirmed. So if the issue is not resolved by the end of this week I will seriously think about leaving and signing up with Sky instead.  

0 Kudos