cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 500mb but never get faster than 280mb

bobbydriver
On our wavelength

I was upgraded to 500mb broadband a couple of months back, but every time I do a speed test to verify it's always between 230 and 280mb. I've never seen it faster than that, and I've tried at various different times of day

I have a SH4 in modem mode, using a Netgear Nighthawk router, so this allows me to do a speedtest directly on the router. Result is always between 230 and 280mb

I have a Windows 10 PC connected via ethernet Cat6 cable to the router. This always mirrors the same results - between 230 and 280mb

This doesn't seem right to me, although I know VM only guarantee speeds of 250mb on the 500mb tier, it's often below that - and so barely above it at the rest of times that it feels like I have an issue.

Upload speeds are exactly as advertised at 30mb+ Not a problem there

Any other suggestions that I could try?

PS QOS was enabled on the router and this was causing throttling, but I turned that off a while ago, so don't suggest that. I know it's an issue and I fixed it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My old Netgear R7000 started throttling around 300Mbps using the latest firmware with Steam, Battle.net and Xbox downloads. Speed tests rarely showed the issue for me and rolling back the firmware did not fix it, traffic meter and QoS were off and did a pinhole reset also.

Replaced with an Asus router and downloads went back to normal.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Reboot hub and connect PC in place of router and do a speed test

do you have Netgear firmware installed? or other?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Netgear native firmware on the router

I rebooted my hub and connected the PC directly to it with Cat6 and re-did the speed test. It was immediately averaging 500mbps

I then rebooted again and went back to my previous configuration via the Netgear router  and now it's improved and averaging about 350 - 380mbps

I assume that this is something to do with rebooting the hub, but it's all very odd

Any ideas on why a Netgear router may be throttling bandwidth?

My old Netgear R7000 started throttling around 300Mbps using the latest firmware with Steam, Battle.net and Xbox downloads. Speed tests rarely showed the issue for me and rolling back the firmware did not fix it, traffic meter and QoS were off and did a pinhole reset also.

Replaced with an Asus router and downloads went back to normal.