cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1gb speed and the Hub 4, still getting 200mb

Spirael
Joining in

I upgraded last weekend from 200mb to 1gb, received a Hub 4 on Tuesday and got that all set up in Modem mode, as I'm running a mesh network in my house. I've rebooted everything, multiple times, since installation.

The mesh network is Deco P9, which is rated for 1gb via ethernet connection. The WiFi is slower (800mb-ish for 5ghz and 300mb for 2.4ghz, which is fine). However the computer I'm testing the speed on doesn't have WiFi, and is connected via the ethernet to the master Deco.

The path between modem and the PC is: Virgin 4 Hub -> Cat-7 cable (1m) -> Deco P9 (master) -> Cat-7 cable (3m) -> TP-Link LiteWave Gigabyte Switch -> Cat-7 cable (5m) -> Windows 10 PC

All other devices connected to the switch are turned off. On my PC in the network connections, my link speed is showing as 1000/1000 (Mbps).

All the speed tests (myspeedcheck.net and the Deco Labs) are still stating my internet speed is 200mb, exactly the same as they did before I upgraded. I've phoned the helpdesk who blamed the mesh. They stated that I needed to stop using my mesh, and instead use their extenders.

I declined, so they put me through to gadget support. Someone (who sounded offshore) then tried to force me to take out a £5 per month contract, for 6 months, so they could remote onto my PC!

Please can anyone offer any advice that doesn't involve a dodgy call centre trying to scam me?

3 REPLIES 3

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

gadget support is legit - thats about it - dont waste your money they are unlikely to be able to do much by past posts on here

looking at your problem - start by connecting the wired pc direct to the hub4 in modem mode and run a speed test - if you get 200 then [obviouly] its something in the pc - if you get 800/900 then that takes the pc out of the equation - assuming high speeds add back other parts of your equipment until the speed drops

you could start with a reset of the deco - that might help

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ok, I think I have it resolved. It was a multi-stage process which I'll list here, in case any of the actions help someone else.

Plugging the PC directly into the Hub 4 still only got me 200MB. Tried with two other PCs/Laptop and different cables and still had the same issue.

First factory reset of the Hub 4 left me with no internet at all! After a second factory reset, I was able to ethernet into the Hub 4 directly and get close to 1GB. Interestingly, even doing the factory resets, it left me in Modem mode. I was expecting it to default back to Router.

However when I then connected the Hub 4 to the Deco P9 and used the ethernet port via that... No internet. Factory resets of the Deco didn't seem to help and it wasn't until I renamed the WiFi to not have a space in the name that it eventually worked. (A bug in their code? Although it worked fine with the name previously.)

Once that was done, I connected everything else back up and now I'm reliably getting good speeds both via Ethernet and WiFi.

So what actually fixed it feels like it could be any (or all) of the following:

• The Hub 4 got itself scrambled and needed a reset
  • The Deco got itself scrambled and needed a reset
  • The Deco has a weird bug about WiFi names with spaces in them
  • Virgin changed something on their end

While I was working on the solution, I repeatedly used the Virgin website diagnostic tool and got told varying results from "There's no problem" to "There might be a problem" to "Engineers are working on it".

Hi Spirael, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you were having an issue with your connection after upgrading to the new speed although I am glad things are resolved for you now. 

Usually a pin hole reset would pop the router back in to normal mode so if it remained in Modem mode, it's likely you didn't hold the button in long enough. 

If you do have any further issues, pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs