cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1Gig, getting slower speeds than before.

RCAR
Joining in

Hello, recently upgraded from M600 to Gig1.

Previously, speeds would get up to 600mbps. On the new network I get the following results:

dKBOiNA

The change in speed has only been since I changed package, and hub. Previously we were on a Hub 3, now we're on a hub 4.

The computer is connected to the hub via a Ethernet cable, and is set to router mode.

I've considered it might be the cable, however, if that was the case then I wouldn't have received the 600mbps speeds previously. I've tried Wifi, and it gives similar speeds.

So, I've no idea what else there is, and looking at other threads on this issue seems to produce a range of results, so, I'm open to any help or advice available.

13 REPLIES 13

carl_pearce
Community elder

@RCAR wrote:

Hello, recently upgraded from M600 to Gig1.

Previously, speeds would get up to 600mbps. On the new network I get the following results:

dKBOiNA

The change in speed has only been since I changed package, and hub. Previously we were on a Hub 3, now we're on a hub 4.

The computer is connected to the hub via a Ethernet cable, and is set to router mode.

I've considered it might be the cable, however, if that was the case then I wouldn't have received the 600mbps speeds previously. I've tried Wifi, and it gives similar speeds.

So, I've no idea what else there is, and looking at other threads on this issue seems to produce a range of results, so, I'm open to any help or advice available.

Are you getting full speed to the HUB?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Edit: Didn't see your image at first!

Could be related to:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Hub4-sudden-drop-from-1-1Gb-to-94Mb-in-download/td-p/4961...

Try:

https://proof.ovh.net/

6qjfzCQ

Similar results. Highest I've got on any of these speed tests has been around 320~mbps.

As for the other thread, I'll give it a read and see what I can try out.

Hey @RCAR,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your connection since you upgraded.

Have you been able to read the other thread for help to resolve your issues?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hello,

I've repeated the steps mentioned in the thread, but, it doesn't seem to yield much joy unfortunately.

Testing my phone on wireless next to the Hub, I get speeds of around 300mbps~, but, obviously that's on a wireless device and not wired. But, it is curious that my phone is getting higher speeds than my Ethernet connected PC.

A speedtest today gives me much the same results. 1144mbps to the router, whilst only 130mbps getting to the PC.

Not sure what else to check. The router is in a separate room than the PC, so, I can't easily check if it's cable. I have a second PC that's connected via a powerline, and that's getting similar speeds to the first.

So, in summary:

Speed to hub: 1144mbps

PC on Ethernet direct to hub: 130mbps

PC on powerline to the hub: 150mbps

Phone on Wifi: 300mbps.

All of the results to devices are lower than with Hub3 prior to the upgrade.

@RCAR wrote:

Hello,

I've repeated the steps mentioned in the thread, but, it doesn't seem to yield much joy unfortunately.

Testing my phone on wireless next to the Hub, I get speeds of around 300mbps~, but, obviously that's on a wireless device and not wired. But, it is curious that my phone is getting higher speeds than my Ethernet connected PC.

A speedtest today gives me much the same results. 1144mbps to the router, whilst only 130mbps getting to the PC.

Not sure what else to check. The router is in a separate room than the PC, so, I can't easily check if it's cable. I have a second PC that's connected via a powerline, and that's getting similar speeds to the first.

So, in summary:

Speed to hub: 1144mbps

PC on Ethernet direct to hub: 130mbps

PC on powerline to the hub: 150mbps

Phone on Wifi: 300mbps.

All of the results to devices are lower than with Hub3 prior to the upgrade.

Do you get the same results on this site:

https://proof.ovh.net/

Yeah, very similar results. Little faster, for whatever that's worth, 170mbps~, mobile produces the same speeds as before around 300mbps~.

Hi RCAR,

Thanks for your reply about your slow speeds, I am sorry this is still an ongoing issue for you. 

I have managed to do a health check on your services and found that there is an unreported outage in your area at the moment which may be causing the issues. 

I've raised it with the relevant team and they will be looking into it, for now though you can use our Service Checker to wait for updates on the outage. It won't show at the moment because I've only just sent the notification over to them, but they should update it as soon as they receive it. 

I am sorry if it's been causing some frustration for you!

Thanks,

Megan_L

So, doing this, the service checker tells me no faults are found, and I need to reboot the hub.

I reboot the hub, and the service checker tells me no faults are found, and I need to reboot the hub.

The speeds are unchanged.

Hi RCAR, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

I'm sorry to hear the status checker hasn't been updated yet. Checking things this end, they are still showing as out of spec. It looks as though the networks team have checked into things and confirmed there is no area fault so we won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs