cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1GB, don't get those speeds

EnterTheGMan
Dialled in

I recently upgraded my broadband to 1GB connection as I game a lot and stream TV and looking at live streaming myself so I thought I'd best get a faster broadband connection.  Since it's been upgraded I've never got those speeds.  I usually get around 400-450mbps download and around 50mbps up.  I attempted to livestream at the weekend and my speed tanked to around 200mbps down and about 20mbps up.  This is doing it on my home PC which has a gig network port and it's wired directly into the hub but it's also giving me those speeds on my PS4 which is also wired into the hub.

I tweeted to VM about it and someone told me to do a factory reset of the hub, that didn't fix the issue.  Contacting live support at VM is pointless, get told by a bot to whatsapp which I did to be told by another bot that no one if free (huh!) and to phone which I can't do as I'm in work which is why live chatting is better for me.

Anyway, my speed is unacceptable for what I upgraded to.

12 REPLIES 12

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you're in router mode what does www.samknows.com/realspeed say?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Speed to Hub 4 is 1150 - Speed to computer is 531

I managed to get an extra 100mbps but still no where near what I'm supposed to get.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EnterTheGMan wrote:

Speed to Hub 4 is 1150 - Speed to computer is 531

<snip>

You are getting the speed to the Hub then, so that's good.

If you are using a Windows PC, test with a known good Cat 6a cable, and use "Safe Mode with Networking support"  This will rule out any software issues.

As for consoles, these are not a reliable device for speed tests.

Also note the most you will ever get from the Hub 4 ethernet is approx. 950mb, and approx, 550mb on Wifi,  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm not sure what changing my network cable will do, Cat5 is pretty much the same as Cat6 and shouldn't affect the speed.  Working in ICT myself we have network cables in work but I'll have to see if we have any Cat6 cables I can borrow.  The speeds and connection were fine on my old hub before I upgraded.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EnterTheGMan wrote:

I'm not sure what changing my network cable will do, Cat5 is pretty much the same as Cat6 and shouldn't affect the speed.  Working in ICT myself we have network cables in work but I'll have to see if we have any Cat6 cables I can borrow.  The speeds and connection were fine on my old hub before I upgraded.

Standard Cat 5 is only rated to 100mb.   Cat 5e and Cat 6a are both Gigabit rated.  Cables can also deteriorate with use.  For the sake of a few pounds, a new Cat 6a cable is a sound investment. 

I would also suggest you setup a BQM to monitor and record your circuit for troubleshooting.   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

It will take 24 hours to get a meaningful picture from the BQM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Right, just got home, I already had a Cat6 cable plugged in but I swapped it anyway with another one from work, no difference.  Started in safe mode, that increased my speed to around 700mbps so a bit faster but again, not what I should be getting from Virgin's suggested speeds.

I mean I would be over the moon with those speeds. I moved to Virgin Media with the 1Gb package and The best I've had is 230Mb, currently just punched out a meaty 3.1Mb download (yes that was a Three). I even have one of those weird looking booster plug adapters.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EnterTheGMan wrote:

Right, just got home, I already had a Cat6 cable plugged in but I swapped it anyway with another one from work, no difference.  Started in safe mode, that increased my speed to around 700mbps so a bit faster but again, not what I should be getting from Virgin's suggested speeds.

The fact that safe mode has made a different would indicate a bottleneck in the computer - if it was the Hub it should have made no difference.

What's the specs of the network card and computer you're using?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

My machine spec is:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz

32GB Ram

Network is the onboard one which is an Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection