cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded M350 to M500 and WiFi pod

Maku
Tuning in

Hello,

I have been offered a deal a few days ago since my discount expired for M350 already and decided to go with an upgrade for M500. I already have received a WiFi pod, but I don't know if I have to set it up or how to connect to it.

As for my M500 deal, I am still receiving the M350 broadband speed whenever I do speed test. I have restarted the broadband but it still gives me the same M350 speed. I would appreciate some help please, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have confirmed you are still on the M350 configuration. You will need to wait here until a Virgin Media staff member investigates your upgrade.

Re Hub settings - both frequencies must be enabled and have the same SSID.

Your observations seem a bit strange. The 2.4GHz WiFi should have further reach and lower speed than the 5GHz WiFi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that your Hub has the correct configuration for the M500 service by reviewing the Router Status. Here is mine for M200. What does yours look like?

2BEC1327-5966-4BC7-B497-6B0275CF390A.jpeg

The WiFi Pod is plug and play. Simply plug it in half way between your Hub and the WiFi blackspot. When the white LED goes off, it’s ready and the WiFi from it has the same SSID as the Hub.

Your Hub must be in Router Mode, with a single SSID and WiFi optimisation enabled.

10FAF172-6968-48F3-868C-B5BF4B01A220.jpegBFC19BC5-22E2-41A2-93C8-FE229DEBCB9D.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Here is my Router Status.

Untitled.png

I have checked your settings for the WiFi. I have Smart WiFi enabled, but I have two SSID network on. Which one should I use between the two? I have noticed that the 2.4 GHz seems to have more speed but lower range for my phone for some reason since it disconnects while the 5 GHz has more range but less speed. I have done a speed test long ago about it, but eventually just used 5 GHz since the 2.4 GHz keeps disconnecting on my iPad.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have confirmed you are still on the M350 configuration. You will need to wait here until a Virgin Media staff member investigates your upgrade.

Re Hub settings - both frequencies must be enabled and have the same SSID.

Your observations seem a bit strange. The 2.4GHz WiFi should have further reach and lower speed than the 5GHz WiFi.

Yeah, I figured. Thanks.

Re Hub Settings:

I will do that now. Thank you.

I did a retest again just now on my device, can confirm that the 5 GHz is faster than 2.4 GHz. I probably mistaken it during the time when the connection was having issues since my broadband used to have faulty connection to VM at that time. But it is all fine now.

Hi Maku,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forums.

I'm pleased to hear that all appears to be fine now :). I had a look on this end too and everything is showing as it should be. If you're still concerned about your package and if your speeds have upgraded, you can check what speeds you're currently subscribed to via your My Virgin Media account.

Thanks

Beth

Hi @Maku, thanks for getting back to me privately.  

This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R

Hello Lee,

Yes, I am overall satisfied with the responses I have received. And thank you.