Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 21 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade from 200mb to 350mb worse!

Hi Bluefusion, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. I can see some intermittent FECS but nothing that breaks any thresholds. 

It may help to separate out the WiFi modes:

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1

Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.

Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security

Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).

Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.

Let us know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bluefusion
Dialled in
Message 22 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I can try that however everything’s been working fine for years on my previous 200mb connection and have now had non stop disconnects since October when I was offered a speed upgrade to 350mb. 

My only current work around is having having to turn my router on/off every few days!

Id really like to explore other options before splitting the WiFi signals ie a replacement router or engineer visit!

i look forward to your response! 

0 Kudos
Bluefusion
Dialled in
Message 23 of 29
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE:

Okay to give anyone who may be interested an update. With devices still going offline and no update from the forum here, We finally had an VM engineer come out who stated we had a faulty Hub router, he switched it over for a new one, tested the wifi and everything seemed ok, a week later - the same situation - cameras and devices all going on/off line - the only solution I have is to keep turning the router on/off again which resets everything back to working again, but this has to be done about once a week!

I then further spoke to someone on the phone at Tech support who, without discussing or asking for permission, updated my router remotely and renamed and split my Wi-Fi into to separate signals 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz which was really annoying as I then had to go around and set up all my WiFi devices back up again - once again, all appeared to be working fine for a few days and then Boom - all dropping off line again - with only a on/off reset of the router able to solve the problem.

I am now left in the same place I have been for the last 3-months since you upgraded me from 200Mb to 350Mb that I have to turn  my router on/off about once a week, once everything starts going off line! changing the router for a new one has made no difference and splitting the wifi has made no difference.

0 Kudos
Bluefusion
Dialled in
Message 24 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Any update from VM on this issue - PLEASE!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 25 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bluefusion

We appreciate that this must be a frustrating situation.

Ideally we'd like to run some real time checks on when this is happening.

We can do this on 0345 454 1111 or by texting on 07533051809 between  8am and 7pm Monday to Friday.

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Bluefusion
Dialled in
Message 26 of 29
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: I called the number you gave above today and explained the situation (again!), the CS explained a fault had been found in my area and would be corrected in the next 24-hours apparently this 'newly' found fault has been causing the disconnections on my service for the last 4-months since VM upgraded me to  350MB!

The CS offered me 1-weeks BB disconnection compensation, and told me to call back after 24-hours when its fixed to claim further compensation.

I am concerned that over the last 4-months with all the line tests, site visits and replacement router, no one could find the 'supposed' problem until now - Not holding my breath, so we will see what happens over the next few days! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 27 of 29
Flag for a moderator

In case the fault turns out to be a red herring... Have you tested the connection on ethernet cable yet - like I suggested in December ? If so and it remains stable on the Macbook, then one option would be to put the Hub into modem mode and get your own (far superior) wireless router to give you full control of your Wifi environment

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bluefusion, 

Thanks for the update. 

Please let us know how the next 24 hours go, if you're still having problems we will be more than happy to look into this for you. 

Again apologies for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Bluefusion
Dialled in
Message 29 of 29
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: RESOLVED (BUT NOT THE WAY I WOULD HAVE WANTED!)

Okay after waiting the required 24-hours, the problem was still there  with cameras and devices dropping off-line, so after 5-MONTHS of the same unresolved issue and each time being told it was a different problem:
1. Problem in the area - no effect
2. Faulty router (replaced) - no effect
3. Need to split WIFI into individual 2.4 & 5Ghz bands - no effect
4. More problems in the area - no effect.

I finally decided to change the router itself, I put the VM Hub into modem mode and purchased Google Wifi - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Not only has my overall WIFI speed increased throughout the whole house i.e. Same room as router was getting 300Mb - now getting 370Mb! and furthest room from router was previously getting 25Mb now getting 120mb but it's been working seamlessly for 2-weeks without any lag or dropouts!

The thing I find frustrating is that this was all working fine on the VM Hub when I was on 200Mb for years and upgrading to 350Mb 5-months ago brought about the issue, putting me in a place where I was actually worse off with a faster speed!

It's cost me over £100 to get the Google wifi router and resolve the issue, but at least the issue is resolved. Now my next challenge is to ring back VM and attempt to claim back the additional compensation I was promised!

0 Kudos