Menu
the1army
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade from 100Mbps to 200Mbps hasn't happened

Yesterday renegotiated a new contract which was to upgrade my speed from 100 to 200Mbps. Usually I have 100 over WiFi - on wired I get up to 80. I have my Hub 3 running in modem mode and my router is the Netgear Nighthawk. I haven't changed anything on the Nighthawk at all. 

Today was expecting to see an upgrade to 200 but I'm still getting 100/101/103Mbps over WiFi. So I called Virgin and they said that it should have updated but something wasn't set on their side but it was set. They rebooted the router but nothing changed, then they reset it and put it in modem mode and again no change. I was told that an "Ofcom complaint" will be raised but for that to happen I have to put the Hub back to router mode. I didn't want to do that as the router is very poor so I said I'd monitor it and hope it gets better.

I called again and was told by them to try the same things and I didn't want to reset the Hub as it'd kick my wife off her Slack call. I was just told it's all OK and to monitor it and get back to them. I've include the router info below.

So what are my options? What's going on? 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_6.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade from 100Mbps to 200Mbps hasn't happened

@the1army wrote:

Yesterday renegotiated a new contract which was to upgrade my speed from 100 to 200Mbps. Usually I have 100 over WiFi - on wired I get up to 80. I have my Hub 3 running in modem mode and my router is the Netgear Nighthawk. I haven't changed anything on the Nighthawk at all. 

Today was expecting to see an upgrade to 200 but I'm still getting 100/101/103Mbps over WiFi. So I called Virgin and they said that it should have updated but something wasn't set on their side but it was set. They rebooted the router but nothing changed, then they reset it and put it in modem mode and again no change. I was told that an "Ofcom complaint" will be raised but for that to happen I have to put the Hub back to router mode. I didn't want to do that as the router is very poor so I said I'd monitor it and hope it gets better.

I called again and was told by them to try the same things and I didn't want to reset the Hub as it'd kick my wife off her Slack call. I was just told it's all OK and to monitor it and get back to them. I've include the router info below.

So what are my options? What's going on? 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_6.png

The config has updated to 200Mbps.

You need to try a wired test with the HUB in router mode to prove it's not third party kit causing a problem.

0 Kudos
the1army
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl for responding. Sorry my follow up is so late.

I did as you said and my speed was indeed 200 meg plus. 

I looked into why and starting searching specifically for issues with speed and the Netgear Nighthawk, and I found another forum post with a similar issue

It basically says at some point that the Quality of Service (QOS) setting on the router can affect the speed. I’m unclear why it can have an impact as I’ve always had speeds of around 100 meg (which is what I used to be on and so assumed it was an issue on Virgins end) but that was set to on on my router. I switched it off. Restarted the Hub and the Nighthawk and nothing worked. Restarted it again and this time all the lights on the Nighthawk were all correct and present and I’m now hitting 200 plus down and 21 up. 

I'm unclear if setting QOS back on will restrict the speed. Perhaps I’ll try that late one night when no one is using the broadband. For now all is good and speeds are great. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@the1army wrote:

Thanks Carl for responding. Sorry my follow up is so late.

I did as you said and my speed was indeed 200 meg plus. 

I looked into why and starting searching specifically for issues with speed and the Netgear Nighthawk, and I found another forum post with a similar issue

It basically says at some point that the Quality of Service (QOS) setting on the router can affect the speed. I’m unclear why it can have an impact as I’ve always had speeds of around 100 meg (which is what I used to be on and so assumed it was an issue on Virgins end) but that was set to on on my router. I switched it off. Restarted the Hub and the Nighthawk and nothing worked. Restarted it again and this time all the lights on the Nighthawk were all correct and present and I’m now hitting 200 plus down and 21 up. 

I'm unclear if setting QOS back on will restrict the speed. Perhaps I’ll try that late one night when no one is using the broadband. For now all is good and speeds are great. 

If you don't need QOS you should leave it off.