Menu
igorf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Updated to Hub3, performance reduced on wifi dongle

Hi,

I'm on a 100Mbps broadband only package with a Virgin hub set as router.

After some disruption in my area I wanted to be sure I had all the latest technology to pinpoint the cause of internet drops, so I replaced my Hub2 with a Hub3, .

Now while some devices as mobile phones are getting full Mbps speed, my computer is getting half download speed than before. I was able to get 110 Mbps with my Zyxel usb dongle plugged in my pc, now I'm getting 50 to 80 Mbps in Download. Upload seems OK overall.

I tried changing channels from automatic to manual, but that seems to get things worse.

The signal is very strong as I have my pc next to the router room and it's always been like that for years, maybe this new router doesn't like my usb dongle? Can i change settings to make it work properly?

here is the hardware data:

Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 44
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 600/216 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: ZyXEL Communications Corporation
Description: ZyXEL Dual-Band Wireless N450 USB Adapter
Driver version: 5.1.22.0

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Updated to Hub3, performance reduced on wifi dongle

Your dongle is not very good, its only 802.11n, you really need wifi 5 AC to have a better chance of maxing out your connection
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the Wi-Fi connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
igorf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

But why I was getting 110mps download with the Hub2 and my actual dongle? I'm just curious.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not sure, but its certainly the weakest part of your setup
0 Kudos
igorf
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sure, here is the data:

my pc: 263.67 Mps

my mobile: 571.28 Mps

0 Kudos
igorf
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you think any 802.11ac 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz dongle will solve the problem? Is there any other specific needed?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It won't go above 480Mbs used in a USB 2 slot.

USB 3 is rated at 1Gbs.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@igorf wrote:

But why I was getting 110mps download with the Hub2 and my actual dongle? I'm just curious.

You were probably connecting on the 5GHz band on the Hub2 as the 2.4 and 5GHz bands have separate SSID's - the Hub3 hasn't - unless you change them to be separate SSID's - so I suspect it connects to the "slower" 2.4 channel

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The OP earlier showed his dongle connected to channel 44, which is 5ghz