Menu
Madz68
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unsatisfactory broadband speeds

I am receiving significantly slower broadband speeds than the 100 mbs I am paying for. Anything from 12 to 30 mbs. Downloading movies etc takes an age and we often lose connection. We have a Hub3 and reboot it often although this does not help very much at all. I have contacted the service centre and asked about cancelling my contract as the service is not fit for purpose. I was just told over the phone that I am using 300gb data per month which is more than most families, and would not be able to cancel without paying early closure fees. I thought the service I was paying for was for a guaranteed speed not average data usage. Please can I get some advice on this issue?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsatisfactory broadband speeds

is that wired or wireless?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

How are you testing download speeds as VM will only guarantee over a wired connection, can you do a speedtest.net on a wired connection with a cat 6 or better cable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
harvest99
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am having a similar problem, I have a hub3 and am on the 100mbs service and getting betwwen 15mbs and 30mbs off the wifi. I tested the wired speed and its 110mbs so the problem is either the router or the wi fi environment. I switched to the 5gz band and it made a massive difference, I am getting 110mbs on this frequency so you could try that.

The range tails off when I head into the garden so I am going to invest in a dual band extender (available from around £30) to improve the coverage.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this instead for a cheap starter option.

Link to the £40 Tenda !!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-Issues-resolved/td-p/4251813/pag...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos