cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable connection: "Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync" multiple times per hour

OX2
Tuning in

As of yesterday, my Virgin connection (in the OX2 area) is completely unreliable. Ping times to the local VM core router (oxfd-core-2a-xe-033-0.network.virginmedia.net) jump up to >100000 msec (that's >100 seconds!) multiple times an hour. Every video call gets interrupted. That's on a wired connection (this is not a WiFi issue).

I'm on a Hub 3.0; when I check the router status through its web interface it shows "Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync" critical errors whenever the connection breaks (see screenshots). I've tried powercycling it, but to no avail.

This has been happening on and off for months now: the connection is a affected for a few days, then it's back to normal for a week or two. Then a few weeks later it's bad again for a few days, etc etc. On Twitter, a customer service representative suggested I ask here. Other similar posts suggest that an engineer would need to visit. Weirdly, a colleague who lives one street over from me and is also on VM doesn't have any problems.

Ping stats:

ping.png

"Downstream" tab on "Router status" shows a lot of "Pre RS Errors" and "Post RS Errors" on all channels:

router-status-downstream.png

"Network log" tab shows repeated "Warning!" and "critical" errors, citing "RCS Partial Service" and "Timing Synchronization failure" and "Loss of sync" (I've removed the MAC addresses in case that's a problem):

router-status-network-log-nomac.png

In case it's relevant, this is the router configuration tab:

router-status-configuration.png 

Let me know if you need any more debugging information.

30 REPLIES 30

Hi OX2,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, we are really soory for the ongoing issues with your connection which has been effecting both you any your Neighbours, I have had a look at things our end and can see there looks like a issue was found and resolved, how are things right now?

I can see our Router is in Modem Mode and hasn't been rebooted for 12 Days, please can you put our Router back into Router mode and remove yours so I can run further checks one done please can you  try a pin reset on the Router just to rule out a software issue, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards?

We appreciate this has been done in the past however it hasn't been done since the issue was advised as found.

Regards

Paul.