Menu
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unreliable Speeds

Hello,

We've been experiencing some issues with our internet speeds for the past 3 weeks. Ended up here after trying to reach technical support through the up with no luck.

Download and upload speeds have been really slow lately, making it hard and somedays impossible to upload/download files and stream content. No changes have been made to the routers, which we've been using since June 2020, nothing blocking the signal and no overload of devices at home since we've both always worked from home.

Really struggling with work as we rely on good speeds to share creative wip files with clients and collaborators. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? 

Thanks in advance for your help! I'll attach the requested info below;

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unreliable Speeds

UpstreamUpstreamDownstream IIDownstream IIDownstream IDownstream IScreenshot 2020-11-25 at 19.14.52.pngScreenshot 2020-11-25 at 19.14.59.pngScreenshot 2020-11-25 at 19.15.06.pngScreenshot 2020-11-25 at 19.15.12.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

While we are waiting for your images to be authorised can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure Mike will agree when I say your upstream channels are all over the place.

Power level too high, QAM levels off (All upstream channels should be 64).

You require an engineer visit to investigate further.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree Carl.

This will need an engineer to put right.

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl,

Good to hear something is not right and needs to be fixed. One step closer to solving the issue 🙂 

0 Kudos
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike,

I'll try and call tomorrow morning as suggested, hopefully, it'll go better than my last calls which were are unanswered. I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@IAC2 wrote:

Thanks Carl,

Good to hear something is not right and needs to be fixed. One step closer to solving the issue 🙂 

BQM is terrible!

You have three options:

• Wait for a VM staff member to reply on here (Currently 5 - 7 days).
  • Text VM on 07533 051 809.
  • Phone customer services on 0345 454 1111.
0 Kudos
IAC2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I'll see which of the three offers the fastest solution. Just texted VM, will phone tomorrow and keep this thread open as well. Will post any outcomes tomorrow.
0 Kudos