cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under 1mb upload speed, restricted download, router stuck on certain channels

ChrisWarr
Tuning in

Hello.

Since the widespread problems reported by Virgin last week, my wifi connection has fluctuated everyday since. At best, my download speeds have got up to 550mb, where it was easily 1.1gb before. 

However, is seemingly changes by the minute, going sub 10mb, then up to 100mb, then back down again.

This often means that services are unusable as the wild changes in speeds create bottlenecks to streaming or working with online documents. 

Most concerning is upload speed. Its now barely getting over 1mb, ever. 

I've tried complete power down resets, I've tinkered with the settings to the router itself, but nothing has worked.

Incidentally, the router settings are seemingly stuck on this;

Wireless frequency 2.4GHz
Wireless mode - 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Channel Manual Auto - Channel 1
Channel width - 20 MHz

Wireless frequency 5GHz
Wireless mode - 802.11a/n/ac/ax mixed
Channel Manual Auto - Channel 108
Channel width - 20/40/80 MHz

Smart WiFi - Enable Channel Optimization

I've disabled channel optimization to change the channels manually, but this also disables the two wifi pods I need to use for other areas of the house. Whenever I turn optimisation on, its sticks to the the same channels and settings which is odd, given the service is obviously suffering, but it doesn't seem capable of trying other channels automatically. 

Any insights, tips or solutions would be appreciated. Given the incredible prices increases this level of service is unacceptable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi ChrisWarr, thanks for the message. 

I have looked into this for you and can see that there is a fault in the area. 

The fault is - F010598073   and this is estimated to be resolved tomorrow. 

Please let us know if you are having issues with this after 12pm tomorrow. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

chfrlie
Tuning in

Hey! Call the Virgin Media numbers in my signature, Something isn't right, Even faults don't knock you down to 1mb/s, It's a faulty box.

-charlie

I do not work with Virgin Media (O2) or Telefónica, I just give helpful advice.

Call Virgin Media on the numbers below.
0345 454 1111
150 (from a Virgin Mobile SIM or a VM landline)
0800 052 2164

I am new here! so if I am doing anything wrong, Please let me know!
If my reply helped you, Give me a Kudos to say Thanks!

chfrlie
Tuning in

Just to correct that-

It's not definently a faulty box, It could be a whole other plemora of problems, Tell the agent when you call what the specific problem is, because It could be your line or your coaxial connection or again a whole other plemora of problems, Hopefully they send an engineer out, Wish you luck and keep me posted. (and by signature in the last message I mean the information below '-charlie'."

-charlie

I do not work with Virgin Media (O2) or Telefónica, I just give helpful advice.

Call Virgin Media on the numbers below.
0345 454 1111
150 (from a Virgin Mobile SIM or a VM landline)
0800 052 2164

I am new here! so if I am doing anything wrong, Please let me know!
If my reply helped you, Give me a Kudos to say Thanks!

ChrisWarr
Tuning in

Results.JPG

Here are an example of my upload speeds. Would a factory reset of the router be advisable? 

I've seen there are no supposed issues with the service in BN1 (where I live) but a test of the hub itself prompts this response: 'Looks like there are issues in your postcode affecting your services' - so I'm unsure if this is a problem affecting others and I need to hang tight, or if its an issue specific to me and therefore I need to take action.

General connection, despite the download speeds looking high, is bad. And everything is buffering or losing connection consistently, making work almost impossible. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ChrisWarr 

Try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more localised issues down to postcode level than the online service checker..

Whilst not ideal it's probably a better indicator of known problems and should also show the latest estimated date/time for any known fault to be repaired.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for this. I have tried that number. Unfortunately this is been quite confusing too.

When I initially call, it says there are ongoing issue in my area for Broadband & TV (the TV issues, which don't seem to be affecting me, are also listed on the website).

However, when I go to the main menu and select broadband specifically, it says there are no issues and automatically disconnects the call.

So I have a feeling this is actually reporting the issue of TV rather than broadband being affected, and this internet connection issue is localised to me and my equipment.

I've seen numerous reports of people suffering the same issue (drop outs, reduced download speeds, crippling upload speeds) with very little in the way of a solution. I just want to make sure I do everything my end to potentially fix this before escalating it further.  

Hi ChrisWarr, thanks for the message. 

I have looked into this for you and can see that there is a fault in the area. 

The fault is - F010598073   and this is estimated to be resolved tomorrow. 

Please let us know if you are having issues with this after 12pm tomorrow. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Thanks for the update. I will indeed look for further clarification if the problem persists beyond 12 tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20230413-084139.png

Can you check this is really going to take another week to solve? I work from home and this issue is seriously impacting my ability to do anything online. 

Hi @ChrisWarr 

Thanks for coming back to us. The ticket number enclosed in the screenshot, was closed on Thursday as resolved.

Are you still having issues? Please report back if so and we can assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill