Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unbearable Speed/Packet Loss/Ping Spikes - Ongoing for MONTHS

I'm literally sick to death with the Internet service provided by Virgin Media. I'm paying for 350mb internet and and not only do I receive low download speeds often (Which isn't even the main problem), i get CONSTANT ping spikes and high packet loss all day everyday - Without fail.

One of my biggest issues with Virgin, is their poor customer service. For months now, they have lied continuously about dates that it will be fixed and lied about reasons it is down to. They have wasted my time on tonnes of calls to them, all with no avail. They have gone through every pointless step possible when it's clear they have over subscribed in the area and cant handle the amount of users on the internet in the area (WV4). Thing is, they refuse to come and upgrade the system out here because it's more worthwhile that they let a few people leave due to the service and then eventually the rest who decide to stay get normal internet again. 

Link to Ping for past 2 Months 

Link to a few Internet Speed Tests 

I have literally been having these problems since February and only started recording them start of April due to numerous calls to Virgin not helping and then finding this forum and seeing how people are recording their data. It is ridiculous how many of us are having these problems yet I'm seeing Virgin are telling each and everyone of us the same old rubbish. 

I'm tired of being given dates and dates for them only to get pushed back, and then when a date eventually comes - No change. Last few phone calls with Virgin - they are literally telling me, 'nothing we can do', so i'm expected to have paid what i'm paying for the service i'm receiving????  I want this to actually be sorted and fixed, and I want this dealt with immediately now. Become way past a joke. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unbearable Speed/Packet Loss/Ping Spikes - Ongoing for MONTHS

Your BQM shows a classic over-utilisation footprint.  Some earlier comments of mine apply.

Unfortunately, even in the fraction of over-utilisation cases where there is a genuine plan to do something tangible to resolve the issue, VM's total disregard for customers, a lack of any effective regulation, and a corporate culture of zero transparency means the company won't tell the affected customers.  All you get is wiffle-waffle obfuscation and a fix date that keeps moving forward, and more often than not there is no plan to do anything tangible.

What are your options?  You can complain to VM and then escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, but they can't force VM to invest to fix this (though they could get you released from a fixed term contract if you argue your case well).

In reality, the only option is to find another ISP that has more regard for its customers than Virgin Media.  If you do this, get the Openreach connection in and working before cancelling VM, so that if there's problems with Openreach you can cancel in 14 days and stick with the rotten devil you know,  And if choosing another ISP, consider the best of the smaller, customer service focused ISPs like Zen Internet, AAISP, Aquiss, uno and IDnet.  Not only for better sales, provisioning and general customer service, but because although Openreach do the physical work, if there are faults then there's a big difference as to how effective different ISPs are at getting them fixed.  And if choosing another ISP, check out their customer's feedback on Trustpilot.  No point ending up locked into a twelve month contract with a company as bad as this one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unbearable Speed/Packet Loss/Ping Spikes - Ongoing for MONTHS

Hi Jason, 

thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your broadband, I am so sorry you've had to deal with this issue for so long. 

I would be more than happy to have a look into your services and explore what is going on. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can find your services.

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos