Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unacceptable speed drops

Hi all, for a couple of months now I've been struggling through very low speeds, I haven't worried to much given the state of affairs but now I'm often down to 1% of what I should be getting, I'm on the 350 Mbps service and most times it's running at around 20 with drops down to 3, this morning I tested via Ookla on my phone and was getting 260, turned on the pc and I'm getting 16, I've tried different ethernet cables, tried a wi-fi card, tried moving the hub, resetting the hub and all the online help suggestions but it seems my connection or box has intermittent faults, I need to book an engineers visit but can't find a number, or, can someone suggest something that I have overlooked ? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unacceptable speed drops

are these WiFi speeds?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This is both Wi-Fi and wired, the speed drops are random but more often than not I Get only around 20 Mbps, thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I experienced severe drops in performance which I found was related to dropped packets.  Rebooting the hub helped.  But then the bad behaviour from the Hub started again after around 36 hours, so I resorted to rebooting the hub every night by powering it through a digital timer plug.  The timer would turn the modem off at 04:00 and back on at 04:02.

This did work well for me, but isn't a solution I would accept overall.

Since then, engineers have been out to resolve signal strength issues and I received an upgraded Hub which reports as HW version 11.  I no longer reboot the modem every night (in fact not in 3 weeks so far) and am now getting near zero packet loss and excellent ping response times throughout the day.

P.S. I run my Hub in Modem only mode, using a separate Router and Wifi solution at home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, a lot of that is beyond me, I have tried rebooting with different results but nothing works permanently, also I've tried running in modem mode with the same results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Bopdude wrote:

This is both Wi-Fi and wired, the speed drops are random but more often than not I Get only around 20 Mbps, thanks for looking.

You said you were getting 260Mbps on your phone though?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes, first thing this morning I was was getting that, and 10 minutes later on the pc and phone it had dropped and I haven't had full speed or near it since, now at 16 Mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You need to speedtest when wired direct to the hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but you have something crossed, my pc is wired, I also have tried different cables different ports and also Wi-Fi, all can give either full or close to full speed at times, and other times, mostly very slow speeds, I also check speed on my phone just because I can, I hope that covers the bases 🙂 thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is the pc wired direct to the hub or via a powerline plug?

0 Kudos