Menu
pwalsh_102
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unacceptable broadband speeds

Hi,

My broadband speed keeps dropping to really low levels. I am on the 200Mbps package. Sometimes it is fine, then 5 mins later it can drop to less than 8Mbps.

This is via wifi on both phone and laptop.

If I reboot my Hip 3.0, it quite often returns to the higher speed. Shortly afterwards, it will then drop again (maybe 24 hrs). 

It didn't used to be this bad but has drastically deteriorated in the last week. I have had remote diagnostics and was asked to do a full reboot on the router. This worked for a day then it started failing again. 

0 Kudos
pwalsh_102
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unacceptable broadband speeds

Hip=Hub

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The contract speed is for devices connected to the Hub by ethernet cable.  WiFi speeds are not guaranteed, although there are various things you can do to improve them. You'll find much advice around this forum.

What speed do you get with a wired device?

0 Kudos
pwalsh_102
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes on wifi I get 200 Mbps and sometimes I get 670kbps. It is not a deviation in the Wifi performance.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello @pwalsh_102.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are having connection issues.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I found that a device is too close to your Hub which is causing a drop in speed, please can you make sure nothing is too close?

Let me know.

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pwalsh_102
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

What type of device could cause the issue?

It is close to a TV and a Virgin media box but nothing else.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand that either.

It's true that the Hub should be physically in the clear and not hidden behind the TV, and it's true that devices getting a poor signal will drop out first. But close devices don't 'steal' the signal. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi pwalsh_102,

I'm afraid that our systems don't specify which device is too close to the hub, however I can also see that some devices are on the wrong wireless frequency band, so this may be the reason you're having problems with the speeds on some devices but not all of them.

Can you please try performing a factory reset on the hub and let us know how things go from then on?

Thanks,

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos