Menu
La-Kav
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unacceptable Slow Wifi & Intermittent Connection Issues

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are having daily issues with our wifi connection. The connection is completely unstable, ranging from 100mbps at good times right down to 0.30Mbps when it's having issue. Rather annoyingly to say, it's the lower we experiance 90% of the time. This is at all times of day, morning & night. 

I have tried absolutely everything, checking for air gaps, rebooting the hub several times a day, resetting the connections on all devices, moving the device into open space away from everything. You name it, i've done it. 

All major use devices run at 5Ghz at full reception bars, so it's nothing to do with reception. I must also add, this is exactly the same case if I run somethign wired. 

We're going insane as we cannot do anything and we are seriously considering leaving very soon if this doesn't get sorted. 

Picture attached of a speed test taken right now, on the VM website showing 1.2Mbps Virgin2.PNGVirgin.PNG

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unacceptable Slow Wifi & Intermittent Connection Issues

Are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

This will give us a clue as to where to start to identify the real issue and the solution.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
La-Kav
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Our problem is occurring both to WiFi and wired connections. Wired connections are not affected as often, but the download speeds tend to stay around 12-20Mbps on wired, which is still slow.

The hub doesn't really change or flash any lights. Just the solid white light at the bottom at all times. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Solid white light suggests no network disconnects. That means that etherent connected devices should remain connected. You haven't said whether that is the case... so is it just the speed that is affected on ethernet connected devices or do they indeed drop out too?

To double check can you do this...

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
La-Kav
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Ethernet connected devices do stay connected, but their speed is very limited too. For example, my wired connection last night would provide nothing more than 9Mbps. 

I've captured the boradband checker below so you can see what is happening.24hr Broadband.PNG

0 Kudos
La-Kav
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

24hr Broadband2.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That BQM looks fine.

Try this first.

First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

See if that stabilises the wifi connection.

If not you could try this too if you havent already

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
La-Kav
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for your help with this. I've completed the steps you mentioned above last week and it seems ot have resolved a few of the issues. We're still receiving slow internet and random drop offs but not as frequently. Here another BQM from the last 24 hours. BQM 2402.PNG

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos