Menu
Steve2812
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ultra slow speeds for 500

Hello,

I have been experiencing slow speeds since taking on Virgin Media....most i think I ever managed was about 300mbs...never anywhere near the 500 i signed up for. Recently this has got much worse and checking tonight, following a very poor Skype call I am only getting 4.6mb/s and to be honest it has been pretty terrible for a few weeks.

Reset everything back to factory settings and seen an improvement...also did the online checks several times...now getting 170mb/s on a WiFi laptop and only 82mb/s on a direct cabled one to my Hub3...better but not 500!.

Due to covid...it is almost impossible to speak to anyone. Not sure what my rights are here as I am not getting the service I signed up for.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultra slow speeds for 500

@Steve2812 wrote:

Reset everything back to factory settings and seen an improvement...also did the online checks several times...now getting 170mb/s on a WiFi laptop and only 82mb/s on a direct cabled one to my Hub3...better but not 500!.

Wireless is unreliable and prone to interference so VM don't guarantee wireless speeds.

For a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as you describe are often the result of a hardware limitation. Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbs, or faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limited to 100Mbs by design or is damaged.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Steve2812
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, doesn't answer why I was only getting 7mb/s initially and have been struggling with terrible speed for a few weeks though...I give it a week and it will be back to the low numbers. Running 2 brand new laptops, so doubtful it is hardware and yes I understand Ethernet limitations....still does explain why Virgin cannot deliver their service that I signed up to.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Steve2812 wrote:

Thanks Scott, doesn't answer why I was only getting 7mb/s initially and have been struggling with terrible speed for a few weeks though...I give it a week and it will be back to the low numbers. Running 2 brand new laptops, so doubtful it is hardware and yes I understand Ethernet limitations....still does explain why Virgin cannot deliver their service that I signed up to.

Even brand new laptops can be fitted with 10/100 Ethernet cards, it seems to be quite common with laptops.  Not sure if it is to save costs or battery power but we often have laptop users on here complaining about speeds and it turns out to be their NIC only being 10/100 instead of 10/100/1000.

If you want to post some hub stats, I'll take a look and see if there is anything out of spec.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is a text link at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. If using screenshots be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.  If you copy and paste the log then the forum will automatically censor this sensitive information. Also note that images will take time to appear on the forum due to a combination of awaiting moderator approval and buggy code.

Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (may take a few days) and run checks on your line.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve2812

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

My apologies for the broadband issues. I've checked the system today and no issues are showing. I hope therefore all is resolved, let me know if you need further help

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos