cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Dongle Recommendations

eze1510
Tuning in

Looking for Dongle recommendations which will improve broadband speed on my desktop. Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wired or Wifi dongle?  It would be better to put an internal card in the Desktop, rather than a dongle.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

eze1510
Tuning in

Hi Adduxi, 

I would be looking for Wireless/Wifi as my router is not close enough to the desktop to run a wire. 

Do you have any suggestions for either a dongle or internal card?

My router speed is just over 500mbps whilst im struggling to get above 80 on my desktop.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Wi-Fi adaptors do exist with external antennas where long range / poor signal reception is the only option.

But in this case improving the strength of the Wi-Fi signal at the computer is an option. A Wireless Repeater like a TP-LINK RE550 placed mid way between the Hub and the computer would give as stronger Wi-Fi signal over a larger area of your property.   If supplied by Amazon it can be returned if your not content.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@eze1510 wrote:

Hi Adduxi, 

I would be looking for Wireless/Wifi as my router is not close enough to the desktop to run a wire. 

Do you have any suggestions for either a dongle or internal card?

My router speed is just over 500mbps whilst im struggling to get above 80 on my desktop.

Are yo sure that the pc is capable of receiving the 5GHz wifi signal?  The 2.5 one will always max out around 80-100. 

Use a wif analyser App to check the signal strength of the Hub's 5GHz SSID as it does drop away quicker than the 2.5 one with distance from the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you all; Computer is capable (and currently connected to 5GHz wifi signal. Sits about 10ft from Router direct distance. 

Currently using a Linksys AE3000 and as mentioned receiving well below 100Mbps whilst router is providing just over that speed.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post a link to the "AE3000" Specs.

Also have you considered fitting a proper wireless network card like...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubit-1200Mbps-Bluetooth-Wireless-2%C3%97Antenna-WIE7265-4-2-Intel-AC-Dual-b...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

10 feet in the same room ?  
Use a network cable and be done with the Wi-Fi.

Your PC is most certainly close enough to the hub to run an Ethernet cable. You can buy 2.5GbE network adapter cards from TP-Link for as little as £21.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi eze1510, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am glad to see that the community have provided some guidance to this and let us know how it goes once purchased. 

Kind regards, Chris.