Menu
dejabrew
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Traffic Management in 2020?!

Hi Everyone, I don't usually post on forums however, I am sort of at wits end with the service I have been receiving from Virgin Media. The first year I was with Virgin Media I was blown away by the service, having constant speeds of 150Mb with very little fluctuation. However...... A year and a bit on, I've renewed my contract and I have now been getting the worst speeds imaginable for months. I've been going back and forth with Virgin Media that keep saying there is a fault and someone is working on it it'll be sorted in a few months time which I know is absolute rubbish because they've said that to me a good 3-4 times and nothing has ever changed.

So, I asked a friend who works for Virgin Media to come over and check my line to see if these imaginary faults are real and sure as anything - There is nothing wrong with the line at all. Outside of "peak hours" I will quite easily obtain 80Mb+ As soon as it hits about 7PM my internet will shoot down to as low as 5Mb and just as magic in the morning it'll go back to 80Mb+ 

I am quite confident that I am under traffic management or something similar but again Virgin Media always deny it. I know Virgin Media aren't hitting their minimum service level for broadband so I might break my contract early and go elsewhere. But I wanted to give it another chance and see if I can find any help/support in a forum before I completely turn my back on Virgin Media.

Any help/information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Traffic Management in 2020?!

It’s not traffic management.

Its contention or congestion.

Completely different and your “friend” should also know this. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
dejabrew
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They've been having internet congestion issues for the last 7 months consistently between the hours of 7pm to 9am? Seems like they should sort that out really, I don't see any of my neighbours complaining about congestion?

Additionally, I am sure my "Friend" would of pointed that out if it's true. But seeing as the CRC,FEC errors and SNR Margins are all within their limits (so it's not a fault) he didn't feel to need to as it's utter BS.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Posting some stats to confirm would help.

Copy/paste back the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs from the hub admin pages 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@dejabrew wrote:

They've been having internet congestion issues for the last 7 months consistently between the hours of 7pm to 9am? Seems like they should sort that out really, I don't see any of my neighbours complaining about congestion?

Additionally, I am sure my "Friend" would of pointed that out if it's true. But seeing as the CRC,FEC errors and SNR Margins are all within their limits (so it's not a fault) he didn't feel to need to as it's utter BS.

Congestion and contention aren't 'faults' as such so it's perfectly possible that all of your figures are textbook perfect but you can still get slow performance, just as it doesn't matter how much you fine tune a car engine and maintain it, if you get stuck in a traffic jam, you're not going anywhere - and yes, your 'friend' really should have pointed that out if he or she really knew what they were talking about!

It's going to be local area congestion, your neighbours don't notice it because they use the internet differently. Set up a BQM and monitor the connection status over a few days and post up the results - it probably isn't really 7pm to 9am, its more likely to be the evening when more people use it, I'd hazard a guess if you tried at 3am it'll be just fine.

dejabrew
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's all well and good 'congestion' but, it's been like this for months. If they can't handle the amount of people they've got coming off of a DSLAM they need to install another. We are vastly below our minimum service levels. The response from here and solidified what I thought and clearly they can't cope with the amount of people they're giving service to. 

I appreciate it's different for everyone but I can't keep taking 7Mb when I'm paying nearly £40 a month. If I want slow speeds I can go elsewhere and pay a lot less!

Thanks for the responses 😁

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable broadband doesn't use DSLAMs, CMTS is the equivalent in cable. 

Congestion problems can unfortunately last for a long time. In my area there have been two such problems which caused speeds to drop to under 10Mb (sometimes barely even 2Mb) at peak times, and both lasted for 23 months. Thankfully since the end of 2016 it has been fine.

0 Kudos
dejabrew
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've been told a few times by Virgin Media that the internet speeds will be fixed by Mid June. So that must be the 'congestion' 

I'll leave it till mid/late June and see what's happening. I don't really want to be waiting 23 months paying over £30 a month for ADSL speeds.

Appreciate the help 👍

0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Did your problem ever get fixed?

F.

0 Kudos