Menu
catgallop
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Top speed available on Gig1

Hello, hope you're well. Just a quick question about the top speed available on Gig1, which I have measured to be around 945Mbps. Is this what others have found?

The following is from a Raspberry Pi running the Ookla Speedtest program every 5 minutes.

Speed tests using Ookla Speedtest on LinuxSpeed tests using Ookla Speedtest on Linux

The WiFi speed both on the Hub4 and my Amplifi WiFi on a recent Macbook Air M1 is usually around 400Mbps. If anyone knows how to improve that for WiFi I'd love to know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Top speed available on Gig1

945 is correct for a single device. If you want better WiFi speeds than 400 you would have to have a WiFi 6 device and a WiFi 6 router 

catgallop
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I notice there are quite regular measurements below the minimum bandwidth threshold. Any tips on what to look out for before contacting VM? Would you expect to see consistent measurements below the threshold (500) before contacting VM, or is intermittent enough? I know it will be up and down, just wondering what’s normal for Virgin Media. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The expected speed into the hub is 1096-1139Mbps and the minimum guaranteed speed out of the hub is 552Mbps. WiFi is never guaranteed.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
catgallop
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes indeed, the measurements are from an Ethernet connection, and show consistent 945 with the occasional lower. The question was really about the threshold you would expect to have to contact Virgin Media, say if you measured under 500 for a whole day.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM will attend to fix erratic speeds even above the minimum speed guarantee if you can show evidence of a problem, in the shape of latency faults (eg through a BQM), or problems in the hub's status data, such as power, noise or modulation issues, high error counts, or network log issues.  You'll struggle to get the offshore script readers understand any of that, but if you have a problem then report it here, the forum staff are far more helpful.  And if you don't know what to look for in the hub's status data, there's plenty of people here who do, and will help. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

catgallop
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, really useful to know. All the best.

0 Kudos