Menu
iainroberton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Terrible upload speeds during office hours for weeks

for weeks, I've had terrible upload speeds (<3mbs when it's supposed to be 35). it only happens during office hours. there's no reported fault on the line, I've reset everything multiple times and tried wired, wireless, modem mode, factory resets and every combination thereof.

called customer support multiple times and reached out on twitter. told it's not a problem, my service is not being throttled. was just told it's a cable being re-fitted in the area and to check the service status freephone. that number reports nothing wrong as does the website.

download speeds fine. upload speeds shocking.

please fix this

iainroberton
Tuning in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible upload speeds during office hours for weeks

oh, and I don't want a badge (really?). I want the service I paid for to work.
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ianroberton,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to forums, I have checked your account and you are affected by an outage. The estimated fix date is the 10th of February. The reference for this is F008740804

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
96fauj
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same problem. Made a topic here, didn't really get far. Took all the BQM graphs etc. Been with the M350 package for weeks now and it's not getting better. Might have to struggle through customer service and get them to log a bad connection so I can have compensation for not having a reasonable upload.

BoneMatrix
Dialled in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Concur... Exactly the same here with M100 package over CAT5E cable in VM Area 20, Post Code RH2 and VM Support/Help are utterly unhelpful other than a recorded message each day saying engineers are working an issue in our area which should be resolved by 15:45... but of course, it never is.

Speeds experienced are about <10mbps down, <2mpbs up and only during "office hours" otherwise its fine outside of those hours!... all since New Year!

Appears to be over-utilization or DNS server overload?

BoneMatrix_0-1611830128290.png

leemcg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it's bad form to say "me too", but me too. 35Mbs upload on M350 at 8am, and 2.44Mbs now, same every day. Have asked 2 of my neighbours in the same street to do a Speedtest this morning and they have exactly the same. One of them only had Virgin installed this week! If I'd known I would have stopped him.

BoneMatrix
Dialled in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Listen... It seems a significant number of VM Broadband users have been affected by whatever is causing this issue... the clue is "during office hours"!

Will Virgin Media please fess up to this by:- 

1. Updating their Service Status page (which ALWAYS indicates broadband is hunky-dory when clearly it isn't)...
  2. Email affected users (if your systems are able to measure/monitor speeds from your side then you know who they are) apologizing and offering approx resolution date and compensation.
  3. We are paying a premium, compared to other ISPs, for an entirely substandard service/product!
iainroberton
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

thanks. I was finally told this yesterday evening having been told, repeatedly, for at least two weeks that (a) nothing was wrong and then (b) it was going to be fixed by 16:35 yesterday.

everyone I know on virgin, as well as most of the people in our street WhatsApp are reporting the same problem and being given the same answers. a few in other parts of the country have gone through exactly this, and then been told it's fixed, just to have the same problem continue.

please, as someone suggested below, can you update your service status pages to reflect this as a significant outage. the customer support system is currently not functioning - takes ages to get through, constantly being diverted to the text service (which doesn't work at all) or the website, which is essentially "turn it off and on again and if that doesn't work call us back" - just to wait on hold and be told there's nothing wrong.

it's a real shame, as we pay a premium for what is normally the best service. when critical infrastructure goes down, especially at a time like this, we should be automatically informed and compensated

it also shows up the craziness of current broadband offerings. in most of mainland Europe, you can get symmetric, gigabit fibre for around €15 a month. and this 10:1 ratio of downloads to upload is going to have to change as we all move to more home working.

anyway, rant over.

please, if you have information, disseminate it to your customer support team and your users. you'd avoid a lot of wasted time and anger

audetto74
Dialled in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Indeed. I never understood the 10:1 ratio, nor why only upload is affected.

Can they not reuse some of the equipment to even out the outage.

I am on M100, give me 50-5 rather than 110-0.5, I'd be very happy.

Are the cables really one way only and they cant be reused for other type of traffic.

0 Kudos
iainroberton
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Not fixed. Still says "no known issues" on the website.

Our local MP has got involved and others on my street are being told the 18th is now the date. Everyone I know on virgin is having the same issue.

On twitter, I'm advised to ring the call centre. Which is such a waste of time, it's almost an insult.

This has been going on for a month and you should be offering compensation as a matter of course.

Iain

0 Kudos