Menu
ThomBi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Terrible connection speed

I have been a Virgin media client for years now, an have had little issue with connection speed until now.

My connection now regularly clocks 200+ ping to various common sites (google, wikipedia, ...), 5-30% drop rate on pings and is outright unuseable for home-working throughout the day. I am connected to my router directly through an ethernet connection.

This issue arises throughout the day, and is especially acute between 9 am and 9 pm. Judging by the symptoms, this is clearly a capacity issue.
We are paying a premium price for these connections and they don't seem to hold the charge. What can we do to ensure we are able indeed to work from home ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Harvey_H
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible connection speed

Hi,

Send me a PM with your Account Number and Area Reference and I'll look into this for you.

To send me a Private Message just simply click the link below:

Click Here 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

ThomBi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Huge latency issues even after works

I have been experiencing massive latency issues for a few weeks now.

Following my last post, Harvey_H was kind enough to inform me that work wa taking place:

There is work planned for upgrading the street equipment. Now this is only a estimation on our system as there is a large amount of work needed to maintain and stabilise the Virgin Network in these challenging times made even more harder by a staff shortage.

Estimated End Date:

09:00 21 April 2020

Following these works, I am still experiencing massive issues (see latencies of ~100ms on average, ~5-15% packet loss on average 😞

Latency chart 

This is highly impairing my (and my neighbours') ability to work from home in these difficult times. Is there any way to get this solved?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge latency issues even after works

@ThomBi Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it doesn't get your issue resolved any quicker and is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

Your original BQM image got rejected to protect your privacy as it contained your IP address and then your IMGUR link triggered the forum spam filter to remove your post.  The mods have reinstated your post and I'd suggest using the share options on the Thinkbroadband site to display your BQM without an IP address.

With regard to your issue, have you been told the works have completed?  The date above is an estimate and based on similar issues in the past the estimated finished dates often get pushed back.  That happened back when we didn't have a crisis so things are bound to be worse now that we do.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello ThomBi

Sorry we are still working in the area

This will be ongoing until the 24th April and is registered on the reference number F007944292

Gareth_L 

ThomBi
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply, Gareth !

0 Kudos
ThomBi
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gareth,

It seems that the works did not happen:

My Broadband Ping - BBissue

How can I check the status for Ref # F007944292 ?

Many thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Harvey_H
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Checking that it seems to have been pushed back again.

Ref: F007944292

Estimated End Date:

15:00   30 April 2020

Seems the work is taking a considerably longer time than the original date.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
AlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Experiencing similar issues of intermittent connectivity, making it extremely difficult to work from home. Area NW3

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Harvey_H
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi @AlexanderB 

Send me a PM with your Account Number and Area Reference and I'll look into this for you.

To send me a Private Message just simply click the link below:

Click Here