Menu
guilbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Terrible cable broadband performance.

I am on Virgin cable broadband and on 2000mbps. I have a Hub 3. I am in the B90 area of Birmingham (Solihull area)

I am generally VERY happy with Virgin broadband and have praised it on various forums for many years.

I did have a terrible problem back in the middle of last year (see the question I raised on here in June or July last year). However it did eventually settle down and has been fine except for the last month or so.

At that time I did set up a ThinkBroadband "trace" and that is still running.    

For the last month I have been getting constant changes in Broadband speed. I can run a speed test and get 3mbps. then a minute later run it again and get 70mbps. then again and get 7mbps, then again and get 210mbps and so on.

My wifi connection is constantly dropping. I have a sky Q box connected to my router and it is constantly dropping the wi fi link to the router and I have to re logon. This can happen half a dozen times in the same hour.   

Watching anything on streaming (Netflix, Amazon etc) is almost impossible.

I realise due to the lockdown more people are using broadband generally so I am happy to accept some loss in performance but the whole family in this house are getting fed up with it.

It becomes a bit much when you have to logon your Sky Q box to the router for the 5th time in less than an hour.

I have looked at the ThinkBroadband graphs but cant understand them. Loads of high yellow peaks, and some red packet loss at the top. I can share a graph if anyone wants to look at it.

Anyone got any suggestions or any more information that will help solve the problem?.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible cable broadband performance.

Please share the link and also may I ask if your using the default settings for wifi on the Hub 3, if so you could try a factory reset to see if this fixes the wifi dropping.

Let me know and i'll send instructions for resetting the hub.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
guilbert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am in Area reference - 12 if that helps.
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

no it doesn't they are not geographic areas
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@guilbert wrote:
I am in Area reference - 12 if that helps.

Mee too.... B30

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
guilbert
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible cable broadband performaI have nce.

Never shared a graph from ThinkBroadband before and having problems.

I press Share Todays Snapshot Graph.

I then get a list of links to post (Direct link, Text link - HTML Link etc)

But if I post any of those links into this forum it says it is invalid HTML.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Click share live graph and then copy and past direct link.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you wish to try the Hub rest see instructions here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

0 Kudos
guilbert
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Direct Link

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/438242b4382be6650e6764d96d93ad30361adda9-23-01-2021
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@guilbert wrote:

Direct Link

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/438242b4382be6650e6764d96d93ad30361adda9-23-01-2021

Looks like oversubscription/utilization considering it settles in the early hours, when less people are using their service:

carl_pearce_0-1611423620400.png

0 Kudos