cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV speed

spear
On our wavelength

Recently purchased an LG TV, OLED C1. Everything with the TV is OK except for the Internet speed. The speed varies between 40-50 mbps and that's with a cable connection between the router and TV. I find that WiFi connetion its about the same and sometimes better. I’ve read online that the connection LG have provided on their tv's can only operate at up to 100 mbps and recommend using an usb adaptor. This I have done and the speed has increased to about 70-80, but cannot understand why I'm not getting at least 100 or even higher with the adaptor. I've checked internet speed using my pc and laptop and both are getting the expected 500 mbps.
I'm trying to establish if the  problem lies with the TV, or has something to do with Internet settings.

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

@spear wrote:

Recently purchased an LG TV, OLED C1. Everything with the TV is OK except for the Internet speed. The speed varies between 40-50 mbps and that's with a cable connection between the router and TV. I find that WiFi connetion its about the same and sometimes better. I’ve read online that the connection LG have provided on their tv's can only operate at up to 100 mbps and recommend using an usb adaptor. This I have done and the speed has increased to about 70-80, but cannot understand why I'm not getting at least 100 or even higher with the adaptor. I've checked internet speed using my pc and laptop and both are getting the expected 500 mbps.
I'm trying to establish if the  problem lies with the TV, or has something to do with Internet settings.

Connected at 100Mbps you'lll see a maximum of 95Mbps including overheads.

Is the USB port you connected to USB 3.0?

spear
On our wavelength

No USB 2.0, no USB's 3.0 available 

@spear wrote:

No USB 2.0, no USB's 3.0 available 

USB 2.0 is capable of 480Mbps so you should be seeing faster speeds if your USB ethernet adapter is 1Gbps.

What app are you using for speed testing?

spear
On our wavelength

Ookla

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Is the firmware up to date?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@spear wrote:

Ookla

Is it an app or through a web browser?

Regardless none of the methods appear very good (I've tried on my older LG OLED).

The firmware on the TV is up to date, or did you mean the hub?

spear
On our wavelength

It's through the browser....is there a better one that I could try?

@spear wrote:

It's through the browser....is there a better one that I could try?

I've tried several that are all as bad as each other, so must be a limitation of the integrated web browser.

I can't find any actual apps in the LG store either!