Menu
David_Kerr26
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TP Link Deco E4

I’ve purchased a Deco E4 mesh Wi-Fi system.

I have M350 and Hub 3.0

Am I in for  a rough time of getting this working? 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP Link Deco E4

Send it back! According to the specs, the ethernet ports on it are only 10/100 rather than gigabit, so when you connect it to the VM Hub the wifi from the Deco will have a maximum speed of 100 Mb/s - which is somewhat annoying if you are paying for 350 and now can't use it!

I believe the Deco M series have gigabit ethernet ports.

0 Kudos
David_Kerr26
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if I’m wanting the Wi-Fi signal just to reach one room in particular, would I need M5 1 pack or 2 pack? I don’t know much about these mesh systems 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@David_Kerr26 wrote:

if I’m wanting the Wi-Fi signal just to reach one room in particular, would I need M5 1 pack or 2 pack? I don’t know much about these mesh systems 

you could go with teh M4/S4 (instead of the 5, just FYI).

as for how many you need.. that's a bit of an unknown - how big is the house, how thick are the walls & what are they made of etc.. 🙂

if the E4 gives you good signal (albeit at a reduced overall speed) then you can assume that the same number of M4/S4's will do the same..

David_Kerr26
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I did have the Deco E4 ordered but managed to cancel it and order a Deco M5-2 pack, so I’m hoping this will work better with the M350 hub and give me 350mbps download speed in the room I require it. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just as a matter of record for anybody else reading this thread, the Deco E4 is cheap and has good wireless, it's only the 100 Mbps ethernet port that is the constraint.  So for anybody who has an E4 and can't return it (or buying new and can structure a cheap deal around this idea) then adding a single Deco S4, M4, M5, or M9 unit as the primary mesh router would remove the 100 Mbps pinch point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks