Menu
oggsky
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TP Link Deco E4 Mesh and modem mode- HELP!

Hi all, I am having problems and hope you can help. I have a home hub 3.0 which I have tried in modem and not wifi mode. The E4 works ok but when I am on work Teams calls literally everyone else cant access any bandwidth. I upped the capacity to 200 so doubled and this hasnt helped. It wasnt a probelm before I put in the TP Link Deco E4. I have read some stuff about cloning MAC addresses etc but really dont know what I am doing there. Is there an idiot guide to this somewhere?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TP Link Deco E4 Mesh and modem mode- HELP!

The E4 only has 10/100 ports IIRC and so will never get above 100Mbps.

I would advise starting again and resetting the Deco and following this sequence.

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
oggsky
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much, I did as you suggested and it worked! Now however my laptop, Apple TV and my sons desktop are failing to connect via Ethernet ports. It seems illogical as of course the mesh is plumbed in fine and all ports lights are dancing. Windows trouble shooter saying no valid Ethernet port ip and now I cannot log in with modem ip 😞

0 Kudos
oggsky
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And I’ve order a single M4 🙂

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@oggsky wrote:

Thanks so much, I did as you suggested and it worked! Now however my laptop, Apple TV and my sons desktop are failing to connect via Ethernet ports. It seems illogical as of course the mesh is plumbed in fine and all ports lights are dancing. Windows trouble shooter saying no valid Ethernet port ip and now I cannot log in with modem ip 😞

when in modem mode, only a single device can be connected to the hub via ethernet - you will need to connect a switch to the spare port on the deco unit and then connect all of the wired connections to that, rather than the hub ports.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In modem mode only 1 Hub port works - and thats the one you have plugged the Deco into 🙂

The extra ports on the Decos will be active so just plug into those. If you need more ports just get a multiport Unmanaged Gigabit switch with extra ports an connect it to one of the Deco ports. All ethernet connections can come from that too. 5-20 port ones are only £15-20

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
oggsky
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for that 🙂

0 Kudos