Menu
Lemly
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TONBRIDGE - TN9 area slow speeds 20mbps when i pay for 500mbps

Hiya,

The last week my broadband has dropped from 500mbps down to only 20mbps and getting major lag on wired & wifi connections. I've contacted CS numerous times and just get told to do the old pin reset & nothing improves. I renewed my contract in April and was told if i upgrade from my 200mbps contract to 500 that it would help improve my connection at peak times. Every time i mention this to CS they have no idea why the sales team told me this and that i was sold the contract falsely. CS also told me that there is an on going fault in my area spanning from Feb 2021 and won't be fixed until September 2021, this was never mentioned when i renewed my contract either 😕  Either way, any idea why my broadband is **bleep**ting itself just this week?

Many thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Lemly
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TONBRIDGE - TN9 area slow speeds 20mbps when i pay for 500mbps

speed.jpgspeed1.jpg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dont ever accept an upgrade for this. !

First try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level

If its a fault until September it smacks of Overutilisation.  So lets see your connection data.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
risc19
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"was told if i upgrade from my 200mbps contract to 500 that it would help improve my connection at peak times."

They lied to you.

If your connection is having trouble with 200mb, it has no chance of giving you 500mb.

If you are indeed only getting 20mb via I wired connection then they are not meeting the minimum guaranteed speed.

If you login the hub, copy and paste the data here, we can have a good look over it.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Lagfest Modem Mode
foccer
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin seem to have major issues with over utilisation at the moment. I am only getting 5-10Mbps from late afternoon each day at the moment instead of the 200Mbps I am paying for.

I am in Crawley

Matthew012374
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tunbridge Wells here experiencing the same issues.  i have an engineers visit booked for Saturday, if this is an over utilisation issue, i will have no hesitation in requesting a monthly discount until the issue is sorted.  

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Lemly If you're peeved at the mis-selling, and the current problems you report, you should raise a formal complaint with VM (online form in My Virgin Media), and don't delay, I have read VM only keep call recordings for six months.  In that complaint you need to ask for compensation for the mis-selling and the poor connection, and perhaps copies of all call recordings and data VM hold on you.  If you have been told that the problems won't be fixed for months, you may also wish to request release from contract without penalty.

VM's reputation for complaint handling is of the same famous quality as its customer service, so set your expectations accordingly.  If within eight weeks you've not got an outcome that you're completely happy with, you then escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  All of which won't be quick, but it will be effective, and better than paying for a mis-sold contract and tied in for 18 months?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lemly,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with your connection.

Checking your account, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There is the fault open that is affecting you though. The details of that are here: 

• Fault reference number: F008781345
  • Estimated fix time: 29 SEP 2021 12:00
  • Description: Status report || You might find that these services are intermittent at the moment: Virgin Fibre, Interactive TV, Catch Up TV, TV On Demand TiVo® or V6 home menu. We are sorry and working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. To make the most of your connection, plug in through a wired connection where possible. These hints and tips will help keep the WiFi as optimised as possible too. 

In terms of the upgrade, if you wish, you can always downgrade the speed back to where it was if you would prefer. To do this, speak to the team on 0345 454 1111. As pointed out above, you can also raise a complaint by clicking HERE

If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Lemly
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virginhome.jpg

0 Kudos