Menu
xShameel12
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Supposed to get 200mbps but I get 30mbs

xShameel12_0-1609280831532.png

Ok so I am paying for 200 but I have never gotten 90.

I use ethernet and I have used different cables and different PCs...

I contacted virgin media and the guy told me to flip my router and said wait a few days (that was 2 months ago)

I have contacted virgin media multiple times and every single time they reply with some basic help (TuRn iT oN AnD oFf AgAiN)

As soon as my contract ends im gonna leave virgin and go back to B.T.

This issue has been going on since way before lockdown.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Supposed to get 200mbps but I get 30mbs

If this is continuing, and you're seeing such low speeds over ethernet, contact them and tell them they have 30 days to fix it under the guaranteed speed policy, or you want to be released without penalty.  If they don't fix it and agree to release you, then you're free to get a new ISP, but you should also raise a formal complaint with VM demanding compensation for the months of poor service (you might then need to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, from what I see here VM's complaint handling is to the same standard as the rest of their customer service).

If you want you can post the hub's status data here (as text, not screenshots) and we can look for obvious faults, but VM's "support" agents should already have done that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to be sure you aren't getting the correct speeds can you do it exactly as per this protocol and report back what this gets.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check in settings that the NIC card is not set to 10/100 but to 1GB) with up to date drivers, via a known good and working (ie new) Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable (and NOT a Cat5 one), plugged directly into the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server.

If they are still low on that – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
xShameel12
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

At the beginning when I first got virgin media I got around 220 mbps but then later on it just started decreasing and now it wont go above 100 and ive changed adapter settings and I can get up to 1 gigabit. I also bought many Cat6 cables and even then it doesnt do anything. In games and other applications my ping and download speed randomly SPIKE. Right now it is too late to contact virgin media but tomorrow morning ill call them and ask for the policy.

0 Kudos