cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support please help, intermittent disconnects

Phixion
Dialled in

Ever since a broadband outage in my area 5 days ago my connection has been dropping intermittently.

When this happens, all websites stop loading and streams stop playing. The white light on the modem flashes for a few seconds and then stays solid.

I've booked an engineer visit, they are coming tomorrow. I've begged support not to cancel this, because I know VM often cancel engineer visits last minute stating the problem has been fixed.

I'm trying to post my modem signal levels and getting an error "Correct the highlighted errors and try again".

Nothing is highlighted... So can a member of support please kindly check my signal levels to ensure they are within correct range?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Phixion, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just keep pressing the send button - data will send

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nope, not working!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Stats look fine to me - have you got a BQM going ?

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using wired so definitely not WiFi dropouts, I did a pinhole reset last night and it seems (fingers crossed) to have sorted it. I am still waiting for engineer though as I want to make sure everything is working as it should. Knowing my luck I'll cancel and then the problem will occur again!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Remember... there will be a £25 call out charge for a Tech visit... where no fault was found.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I saw that, but when I looked in to it they only charge you if something on your network was causing the problem.

Connection issues can be intermittent, I could book 10 engineer appointments and maybe 1 out of 10 would be here when the issue arises, I figure the threat of a charge is made because certain customers call engineers out when they aren't needed and something on their home network is responsible for issues.

In any case, I would not pay the £25 even if they asked for it. Been a customer since dialup on Cableinet, I would simply refuse to pay it under these circumstances. I've been on to support 3 times in the last 5 days due to intermittent connection, before that, there was an outage in my area and I was the one to raise the alarm that something was wrong in the area as the status page was reporting no issues, support had no idea of any issues until I phoned.

To finish, VM themselves recommended an engineer visit... On my last call to them I was automatically sent a text telling me to book an engineer timeslot.

Anyway, engineer has been, found an issue with power/signal levels. He replaced the connection on the front of the house and also did something in the cabinet. He said he'd raised my power levels slightly so that if any other issues do arise, they don't dip too low and drop the connection.

I appreciate your response, don't take my reply as snarky or rude, but at this point with the amount of money I've sent VM I just see things differently. If they insisted on the £25 they'd be shooting themselves in the foot because they'd just lose a customer that's been with them for many, many years.

Hi Phixion, 

Thanks for your post and for coming back to keep things updated. 

We're sorry to hear you're still having issues. I can see there is no area fault affecting you but the power levels still aren't quite right. It's producing some errors when running our checks and we won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for another engineer to come to take a look at this for you. It will be a principle engineer instead so can do some further indepth checks. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs