Menu
spac3cow6oy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 4 expected Wi-Fi speeds?

I just got my Super Hub 4 delivered today. Firstly, I was a bit annoyed to see it clearly wasn't brand new, especially as I was charged around £35 for it on top of the extra £12 p/m to upgrade from M350 to Gig1. Anyway, having set everything up I seem to be getting an average speed of around 400Mbps over Wi-Fi, and that's when I'm literally right next to the hub. Is this what I should reasonably be expecting? When I was on M350 I rarely got any less than the advertised 350Mbps so I am a little disappointed with the increase. Also, yes, my phone (Mate 20 Pro) is capable of much higher Wi-Fi speeds. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 4 expected Wi-Fi speeds?

there is no "expected" wifi speeds. Wifi can be effected by 1000's of factors no one can control
spac3cow6oy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's fair enough, but should I be seeing such a small improvement since upgrading to a Hub 4 and Gig1, especially as I was previously getting pretty much the maximum advertised speeds? That seems a bit odd to me. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Expected Wi-Fi speeds  are from zero to full WAN speed but I would think a very good connection from a VM Hub is about 1/3 WAN speed.

Wi-Fi is so unpredictable that it can't be relied on for anything more than light weight entertainment.

There are far, far too many environmental constraints that ISPs will not guarantee full WAN speed anywhere.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
spac3cow6oy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, so it's highly unlikely the Hub is acting up? 

I checked SamKnows and the Hub is getting the advertised speeds delivered, so I guess it's just as you say. Still, a bit disappointing. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The HUB 4 has Wifi5 MIMO 4x4:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi5 

So theoretical 'link' speeds of 1733Mbps. Link speed does not always equate to actual speed.

A real world example my mobile (LG G6) is Wifi5 no MIMO, so 433Mbps, and I can get a download speed of around 200 - 240Mbps.

400Mbps sounds like Wifi5 MIMO 2x2, so a 'link' speed of 866Mbps, which makes sense on the 400Mbps over wireless.

As you can see there are so many standards it's a nightmare for any ISP to guarantee what wireless speeds you are going to get on any given device.

One thing you could check is the channel bandwidths available on the 5Ghz network in your HUB settings (20/40/80Mhz).

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your Mate 20 Pro cannot go any faster than that. My P30 pro has similar speeds yet my friends s20 Ultra can go to 600

spac3cow6oy
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just purchased a new Huawei AX3 wireless router and set my Hub 4 to modem mode and now I’m consistently getting wireless speeds of around 800Mbps, and that’s with the router in a rather bad position on the lowest shelf of my TV cabinet. I think this proves that the Hub 4 has relatively poor wireless capabilities and really isn’t good enough to be supplied with the Virgin Gig1 service. 

0 Kudos
sjmartinlx
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My WiFi speed on gig 1 struggles to reach 200, more often it's around 170 depending on the speed testing app/program, samknows realspeed says ~ 1060 to hub 4 but less than 100 over WiFi. I have bought another modem to try to improve wifi speed but no luck

Tags (3)
0 Kudos