cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck at 130-170Mbps since upgrading from SH3 -> Hub 5

Kouneloz
Superfast

Hi guys,

I am suffering from reduced service since upgrading to the Hub 5. My speeds have dropped from a consistent 210Mbps to anywhere between 130-170Mbps.

DS power levels are sitting around 0, SNR around 40
US power levels are ~48

I had a text from Virgin in early January about works in my area on the 12th and to expect downtime. I've noticed not long after I hooked up the Hub 5 so it may be a coincidence, it may also be unrelated to the works in the area. Can staff please check to see if my area is suffering from high utilisation and specify what works were carried out in the area on Jan 12?

itunes.JPG

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this first...

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Also you weren't "upgrading" to a Hub5 - it isn't on general release -it is just being offered to a few "selected" customers - you are effectively beta-testing their new hardware for any faults/limitations/issues.

If the problems persist you should call in to get your old Hub re-activated - or if you dont still have it - get them to send you one out and return the Hub5 - until is fully released

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

how are you testing - if wifi then anything is possible - if wired then thats different 

if wifi have you split the bands and turned off smart wifi - not seen a 5 but assume thats possible

as John suggests if the 5 is not working for you and you would not be on your own  get them to put the 3 back on

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Kouneloz

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues with your Hub since switching to the Hub 5. 

Also a big thank you to @jbrennand and @-tony- for their help and advise? Have been able to follow these steps including testing from a wired connection? 

Thank you. 

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the hub 5 in modem mode, same as the SH3 it replaced and all tests were done on a wired connection. I have switched back to the SH3 and speeds are similar to what I was getting with the hub 5 leading me to believe the issue is further up within the VM network.

Can support elaborate on what essential works were carried on the network on the 12th and also check to see if there is high utilisation in the local area which could explain the reduction in download speeds.

Thanks

Hi Kouneloz, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

I'm sorry to hear that swapping back to your Hub 3 has had no difference. 

We wouldn't be able to expand on what works were carried out I'm afraid however we can certainly check to see if there is any congestion. 

I've been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi guys,

I've had to put this on the back burner for a while but after an outage on Tuesday, CS booked out an engineer who changed the line over to a different tap in the cab and replaced the attenuator at the back of the hub and in the cab which has dropped the upstream power from 54~ down to an acceptable 42.

I no longer see the repeated daily Dynamic Range Window violation & RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW errors in the modem logs however the wired download speeds are still all over the place, anywhere from 100-160Mbps, as they were before.

I've looked over historical BQM graphs from around the time of 'area works' on January 12th and the time I switched over to the hub 5 and below are before and after graphs from Jan/Apr

Jan.pngApr.png

I have the hub in modem mode and use my own router and it's quite apparent that the problem lies further down the network. If staff can't elaborate on the exact nature of works carried out on January 12th, can you tell me if my line is affected by high utilisation and if not, what could be the cause of my issues?

Hi @Kouneloz

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community. 

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the broadband service. 

I have taken a look at things from our side and can see that 24 hour monitoring was set up yesterday.

This monitoring period ends in 7 hours.

If after this time you are still having an issue, please pop back to us here and we can run some further checks.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi forum team,

After several wasted engineer visits who have checked everything and confirmed there is no issue on my end. The last engineer a swapped my hub 5 with another one.

I am told by phone CS that I’m afflicted by a P4 fault F009803159 where the fix date keeps getting pushed back and back. Is this utilisation related?

They also tell me the work order was created at the beginning of May and any compensation will apply from then but as you can see from the evidence provided in this post, this problem dated back to January 12th ever since the bodged area works, see screenshot

22A5585A-337C-4C46-8B13-92754122DA9D.jpeg

Are you able to make notes on the ticket to reference this post and backdate the fault please?

Hi Kouneloz,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, I wasn't able to to find any information around the congestion issues which you believe has been present since January however there is an SNR fault in your area ( Signal to Noise Ratio) this is generally caused by a exposed or faulty cable and can take a while to locate then fix due to the location, this was raised on 01/05/22 and the estimation fix date is 31/05/22.

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to get this resolved ASAP.

Apologies again for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Paul.